Diving and Piercing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PiranhaChris

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So I'll keep this simple.
I'm interested in getting a Labret Piercing. For those not familiar the labret piercing is the dimple between your chin and lower lip.
So I figured for diving purposes is this logical having a hole that can leak? lol or is there no biggie to having this done and Diving.

Thanks Guys

You might want to ask a Moderator to move this thread to Dive Medicine (generally preferred over starting a duplicate thread), where you're more likely to get a more expert answer, since several medical types regularly hang out there.

I've had my labret pierced, although never dived with it. When I did have it pierced though, there was nothing going through it as long as there was an actual stud or something keeping it sealed. Even when I would take it out, I wasn't able to shoot water or anything fun out of it. So my guess, which I am not a doctor or anything, would have to be that you would be fine.

As a dentist I can't perceive it having effects on the diving but they have great potential for causing loss of the gum tissue where the inside of the stud would come in contact. From the American Dental Association web site:

Possible adverse outcomes secondary to oral piercing include increased salivary flow; gingival injury or recession; damage to teeth, restorations and fixed porcelain prostheses... scar-tissue formation; and development of metal hypersensitivities.... Airway obstruction due to pronounced edema or aspiration of jewelry poses another risk, and aspirated or ingested jewelry could present a hazard to respiratory or digestive organs.....

And is sure helps to have teeth to hold in the regulator.

Thanks for the Intel guys.
Digger....this could because I'm a civilian and not a Dentist lol, but I thought saliva was a good thing? The rest of it I agree is bad though lol.

And who needs teeth when you have a Seacure :D *Cue the hack comedy rim shot*

Plenty of saliva is a good thing, but too much and you look like someone that is institutionalized -- drooling on themselves.

Hey, but you know what ? I might actually help that dry mouth all of us can get from breathing that dry air when diving.

And removing my professional hat and putting on my civilian hat -- I'm a firm believer that one should be able to do whatever they want so long as it doesn't interfere with others and so long as they inform themselves before they take steps that may be permanent or life changing. I was just doing my job of informing. So you go ahead an pierce whatever you want an enjoy your life to the fullest and especially your diving.

So I'll go diving with you anytime, friend. I might even admire the stud that you wear in your chin. But I don't want one.

And hey, what do I have to do to get "Frequent Poster" out from under my name and replace it with "Divemaster"? I sent the Mod. my PADI number and joined the pro forums. I thought that would cause the change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom