Diving around Deerfield...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be visiting the in-laws in Deerfield in the end of December/beginning of January and I would like to do some diving around Deerfield (looks like there are plenty of interesting dives around the area), I've got a few questions and I'm sure somebody on SB could help.

What's the average water temperature at this time of the year? Any thermoclines? What kind of exposure protection do people usually use?

Anybody can recommend a diveshop / boat operator in the area? I'm not sure I'll haul all my gear to Florida just for a few dives so I might be looking at renting some. Also, I'll be alone (GF doesn't dive...) should I expect any trouble finding a buddy on the boat? (this hasn't been a problem for me other dives I've done in the past but it'll my first time diving in the US... just wondering).

How busy is it around that time? Should I try to book in advance, or should I be able to arrange that when I get there?

Answers in blue, I hope they help you :)

I'll be visiting the in-laws in Deerfield in the end of December/beginning of January and I would like to do some diving around Deerfield (looks like there are plenty of interesting dives around the area), I've got a few questions and I'm sure somebody on SB could help.

What's the average water temperature at this time of the year? Any thermoclines? What kind of exposure protection do people usually use?

72-75 is typical for early January. A 3mm with a vest and a hood or a 5mm with hood are usually sufficient.

Anybody can recommend a diveshop / boat operator in the area? I'm not sure I'll haul all my gear to Florida just for a few dives so I might be looking at renting some. Also, I'll be alone (GF doesn't dive...) should I expect any trouble finding a buddy on the boat? (this hasn't been a problem for me other dives I've done in the past but it'll my first time diving in the US... just wondering).

Dive shop: Fill Express Monday thru Saturday, they whatever gas you'll need and offer gear rentals.
Dive boats: Lot's of personal preference here, none of them suck. I like these in the Deerfield/Pompano area:
Staff
Welcome to Miss Conduct Dive Charters
http://www.aviddivercharters.com/
Home Page - Scuba Diving,Snorkeling,Dive Charters,South Florida, Boca Raton.

Insta-buddies are common but you'd be likely to get buddies if you post your trip agenda
here too.

How busy is it around that time? Should I try to book in advance, or should I be able to arrange that when I get there?

It's always good to reservations for the weekend dive plans.

Thanks to the both of you for the info I'll be sure to check that. I'm starting to really look forward to it, it's gonna be much warmer that what we'll dive this week-end ; )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom