Diving around Norfolk, VA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiver888

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Greetings fellow divers. I will be working in Norfolk, VA starting this Tuesday. Not sure for how long but I thought I'd see what kind of diving there is there.

I normally dive the Great Lakes in Canada. I'm okay with current, cold, low viz and I have a drysuit.

My dive club in Canada was planning a trip to Morehead City, NC and I can see this is only a 3 or 4 hour drive from Norfolk. So I might pop down to Morehead City for a weekend before our official dive trip.

I'm just wondering if there is any diving in or close to Norfolk.

Darrell

Wanna subscribe to this thread considering my brother from another mother lives in Va Beach and always wondered if there was something to do around there.

Plenty of offshore wrecks. Great for spearfishing. Vis typically 10 to 20ft. Doesn't get much over 50-55f on the bottom until later in the summer. Mainly just buddies with boats, no charters to speak of. For this time of year few people have dry suits, or if they do its difficult to find anyone to go out with. Highly recommend driving to Morehead in NC - better vis, warmer water, more life on the wrecks.

Greetings fellow divers. I will be working in Norfolk, VA starting this Tuesday. Not sure for how long but I thought I'd see what kind of diving there is there.

I normally dive the Great Lakes in Canada. I'm okay with current, cold, low viz and I have a drysuit.

My dive club in Canada was planning a trip to Morehead City, NC and I can see this is only a 3 or 4 hour drive from Norfolk. So I might pop down to Morehead City for a weekend before our official dive trip.

I'm just wondering if there is any diving in or close to Norfolk.

Darrell
At this time of year it is sometimes difficult to get enough divers for a charter to go out in NC. I signed up today for a charter with Discovery Diving in Beaufort, NC for Feb. 17th. Beaufort is right next to Morehead City. Discovery needs a minimum of 4 divers for the boat to run and I was the first one to sign up. This the only charter they currently have scheduled in February. Give them a call and sign up if you can. Discovery Diving - NC's Diving Headquarters - Discovery Diving of Beaufort, NC

There is plenty of diving out of VA Beach which is not too far from Norfolk. I haven't been down there in the last few years, but I used to dive with Lynnhaven Dive Center and I am sure that they are still running their boat (Miss Mackenzie, IIRC). There are some great wreck dives in that area.

So for folks in the northern Virginia area, is VA Beach the closest ocean diving? Any specific sites to recommend?

Started working in Norfolk. Client has us onsite Tuesday to Thursday. Too far to drive my car down (12+ hours). So I'd have to rent a vehicle. Get a place to stay for the weekend. Get all my gear down to Norfolk (no direct flights; lots of REALLY small commuter jets). Basically, now that I've been there and seen what our set up is going to be, doesn't seem like it is going to work for me. Probably better to save my money and do a full week in Morehead City, NC when the weather gets a little better.

Some times the client has us in apartments and I can just leave stuff there. This time I'll be traveling back and forth every week. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom