Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please keep in mind that recreational diving is not a growth industry, and in fact has been in a sustained decline since the 2007 financial crisis. Dive shops and operators are closing all over the place, or laying off DMs and instructors.

THat is an incredible sweeping statement, while it maybe true in the continental US, teh same can't' be said for the rest of the world.

I'm a silent investor in a small shop, in an area that mainly relies on its residents and not tourists for clients. My friend brought out a failing shop he's' worked in for 3 years. Despite the local economy contracting, with less discretionary expenditure available, and being 1 of 6 shops within a 10 minute drive of each other, he's doing okay. In fact my investment ( money I could afford to lose and in my mind was a gift) is seeing a small return.

Another friend has a centre in a location which relies solely on tourism, and is highly competitive with dive shops sitting side by side. She has built a successful business not just on day diving and residential Pro courses, Their main income is because she saw a niche and offers cheap but good food, and has a bar. It's the gathering place of teh strip for "sundowners"

In both these cases the people started out as jobbing instructors and got to know the marketplace - that meant them investing their time in courses and building their teaching experience and understanding the marketplace.

The dive industry is no different from any other service industry, but being a diver doesn't mean you'll operate a successful dive Op, just like some who is good at cooking may not succeed with owning a small guest house.

In previous posts there were some misstatements as people who commented do not have a clue about PADI and diving industry. You do not need to be PADI Master Scuba Diver in order to become PADI Divemaster and further PADI Open water instructor. PADI Master Scuba DIver is automatically granted when you have PADI OW, AOW, Rescue diver certifications, 5 PADI Specialties, 50 dives and formally apply for MSD certification. When you have PADI MSD you can still get another PADI specialties and get more skills in recreational diving.

In order to be employed by any dive shop you need to be a minimum as dive instructor. Preferably you should know few popular languages and have other important skills such as equipment maintenance, boat handling, etc.

It is very hard to make money in diving industry as dive instructor. There are some exceptions when dive instructors are very famous, represent some technical agencies and charge high rates. Most of diving instructors really struggling and usually are saying that they work in this industry not for money but because they like such living style. Also, work as dive instructor is really hard as you are responsible for your students and you encounter different type of people every day.

THat is an incredible sweeping statement, while it maybe true in the continental US, teh same can't' be said for the rest of the world.

I'm a silent investor in a small shop, in an area that mainly relies on its residents and not tourists for clients. My friend brought out a failing shop he's' worked in for 3 years. Despite the local economy contracting, with less discretionary expenditure available, and being 1 of 6 shops within a 10 minute drive of each other, he's doing okay. In fact my investment ( money I could afford to lose and in my mind was a gift) is seeing a small return.

Another friend has a centre in a location which relies solely on tourism, and is highly competitive with dive shops sitting side by side. She has built a successful business not just on day diving and residential Pro courses, Their main income is because she saw a niche and offers cheap but good food, and has a bar. It's the gathering place of teh strip for "sundowners"

In both these cases the people started out as jobbing instructors and got to know the marketplace - that meant them investing their time in courses and building their teaching experience and understanding the marketplace.

The dive industry is no different from any other service industry, but being a diver doesn't mean you'll operate a successful dive Op, just like some who is good at cooking may not succeed with owning a small guest house.

I did make a sweeping statement, so fair enough to be challenged on it. But I’m not sure that what you’re describing disproves my broad claim. I agree that if you’re entrepreneurial and can set up a small differentiated niche operation in an area with a strong local diver community, or subsidize a dive operation through a successful restaurant, and are prepared to lose your investment, you might be ok. But I do still think that on the whole diving is not a growth industry, and there is enough contraction in enough places that wages for dive professionals are very low. I am about a decade from a comfortable full retirement, and I could take early retirement tomorrow; and I’ve been looking at all kinds of ways that I could set up a small dive operation, with my financial cushion. I can’t see any way to set up a dive business plan that doesn’t have dramatic downside risk and anything more than very modest upside potential.

You do not need to be PADI Master Scuba Diver in order to become PADI Divemaster and further PADI Open water instructor.

Technically that's true. However, it depends on what the shop wants in order for one to be accepted as a Dive Master candidate. A local shop has more than enough divers that want to "live the dream" so they can choose, a zero to hero operation is another story.

As far as diving as a proffession, I elected to to keep diving as a hobby for relaxation. Part of the decision is that I found I really disliked formal teaching (of any kind), and with a regular job I could afford my life and diving.

As a dive proffessional, your other skills such as a language, customer interaction, maintainance and repair, captains ticket, computer, and so on, are going to make the difference in getting a job, as DMs and instructors are certified constantly due to the same dreams you have. Making that dream come true is a lot more work than just getting certified.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom