Diving at Gili Islands or stay on Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

We are planning a family diving trip to Bali in December for two weeks. Kids, 10yr + 12yr, will be getting their JR OW certs at Tulamben. We will also stay at Amed for several days.

Question: Is Gili Islands worth going to for 3 days or is it better to stay on Bali?

I believe (just a guess) diving will be easier/better on Bali...

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you!

For your kids I would just do their courses on Gili Air and stay there the whole time except for topside activities on Bali. The diving is better on Bali.
Don't get me wrong the diving at tulamben is awesome but very macro focused and most reef dives are boat dives on boats that are fishing boats not dedicated dive boats.
The dives at the Gillies will please the kids plenty being able to see lots of turtles, a shark or three, and decent reef diving from a boat.

@dirtfarmer

Appreciate the input. Didn't really think about the type of boat... I remember my Amed diving involved the small narrow fishing boat, wasn't all that pleasant but not too bad since it was a very short ride.

I thought Tulamben and Amed might be easier for kids with shore dives.

Would appreciate some feedback from those who have been to Tulamben, Amed, and Gili as to which dive sites are better suited for kids.

Thank you!

Hi Ladra,
Tulamben dive spots (wreck, coral garden and DO) are shore dives, although few dive centers further away use boat or RIB to dive this location. All these three site are good for snorkeling (reasonably good reef and lot of small fishes) as well.for macro lovers.
Some dive spots in Amed require short boat ride (typically small traditional jukung but few operator use bigger boat) some are also easily accessible from shore; suitable for snorkeling.
Gili is not bad, lot of turtles but personally we love Bali.
We visited Bali (Bedugul, Menjangan, Nusa Penida and Tulamben) for almost two weeks in August - a combination top site and dive trip.
Check my flickr album Indonesia 2018 to see what we saw on this trip

@Wisnu

Wow awesome pix. In your opinion, is Gilli worth going to or just stay on Bali?

Hotel Uyah in Amed is a good choice. Their boat is a large tradtional style with room for 6 no problem. Plus they have 2 pools, ping pong, billiards. Good choice for a family and a good budget price.

If I had kids I would absolutely take them to train on Gili Air. Tons of great, easy diving for new divers... Turtles out the wazoo... Sandy beaches... No cars... No psycho highway... Warm, gentle water... Good family atmosphere... It really does tick all the boxes. I take a group of twenty or so 13-14 year olds every year. We have a blast with Blue Marine Divers.

With a family, I suggest Gili Air. Way bettter sandy beaches and diving for Jr OW students. Good restaurants and vibe. Just take the fast boat from Bali and get off at Gili Air. After three days, go to Amed (my preference) or Tulamben. Mike V.’s suggestion is good. December will be a bit more relaxed. Post-earthquake response was fast and efficient - the Gili Islands are back open, cleaned up, and good to go.

Back
Top Bottom