Diving at Poor Knight's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teddy Ngo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As a part of our vacation we dove at the Poor Knights among other places. Went with Dive Tutukaka as they had great reviews. The experience was great, wife and I had a great time and Dive Tutukaka has a great staff. Made a quick dive video below, complete with cheesy music.

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">[video=youtube_share;CGs3lzbMEg8]http://youtu.be/CGs3lzbMEg8[/video]

Can I inquire about water temperature and exposure protection? For example, it appears that all the divers have hoods, but not gloves.

Thanks for the video, New Zealand diving is on our bucket list.

Depends on the time of the year. Gloves needed all year, drysuit in winter (say May to November at least), 5 to 7 mm rest of year. An amazing dive location.

Can I inquire about water temperature and exposure protection? For example, it appears that all the divers have hoods, but not gloves.
Thanks for the video, New Zealand diving is on our bucket list.
This is my "local" dive site.
Summer I dive with a 7mm suit
winter I dive with vest 7mm gloves and hood.
Water temp on average is 15 degrees c

As mentioned in the other thread on Poor Knights...cooler water than one would expect. I was there in January on the way home from Rangiroa and had to borrow a 5mm to go over my 3mm with a lavacore vest and hood underneath.

wingy--you snob--shoulda called in

Frosty..I hope that invitation stands for next time! - after a month in the Tuomotos NZ water was bloody freezing! Next time will be more prepared - was a lovely dive to top a trip off but that single day diving at Poor Knights has always bothered me. I felt I didnt do NZ diving any justice by just having that squeezed in day and I was utterly pissed to be forced to go settle the Phar Lap Aussie V Kiwi thing by having to gallop horses along Pakiri beach.....I wanted to dive again and while I was clinging on for dear life pretending to be Jim Pike some lucky woman had her fins tugged by an Orca out at PK.

Plan to do NZ again but spend more time there on the way to the Tuomotos so I can get a really good look at the country and dive properly - not like a marshmallow with all that neoprene on (who has a pink and yellow wetsuit anyway? people who keep it to loan to stupid australians :D )

no worries wingy-Next time try heading out from leigh. Theres some stunning diving round little barrier but people forget it and head to poor knights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom