Diving at Possum Kingdom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver_jay

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am trying find out any information about diving at Possum Kingdom Lake. I have never dove there and my buddy and I are planning on diving there the weekend of the 9th and 10th of July. I know that Scuba Point is closed. Where can we shore dive on that lake? Any information would be helpful. Thanks to all of you in advance. Also, if anyone else is interested in diving with us please let me know and I will pass along any details as soon as I get them confirmed.

There will be a lot of diver's there on the 10th, you can join in and get a boat dive in while you're there and help with the clean up:

Hell’s Gate Clean Up on Possum Kingdom Lake July 10th 2010!

What: Hell’s Gate Underwater Clean Up
Where: 3205 Redbird Rd Graford, TX 76449 Map
When: 9:00AM July 10, 2010
Who: Diver’s, Non-Divers and the Whole Family
How: Call 972-416-8400 or Email Rich@internationalscuba.com to Sign-up ASAP

Our Annual Hell’s Gate Underwater Lake Clean Up is July 10th. Now everyone can fully enjoy all that Possum Kingdom Lake has to offer during the summer. You’ve asked for a summer clean up and now we have one!

Anybody that has been diving at Possum Kingdom knows Ann and Todd Burns. They are wonderful folks who have supported scuba diving at Possum Kingdom for decades. Ann’s father Tom opened Scuba Point and was a true pioneer in the world of diving. Todd has spent countless weekends on Possum Kingdom sharing it with all of us at International Scuba. Thanks to Todd many of you have had a chance to dive some of his secret dive sites and even go diving for some of PK’s lost treasures. We like to show our thanks for their hospitality by having a big turn-out and keeping the diving legacy alive at Possum Kingdom.

Once again The Inland Divers Dive Club at PK has been very generous in offering its property as a camping and staging area for the event. Inland Divers has property located next door to the old Scuba Point dive site. It features a beautiful “Million Dollar View” of the lake and is great for diving and camping.

David Robinson of Inland Divers has really gone all out this year and is planning on smoking some delicious briskets for everyone after the clean up. You may help contribute by bringing side dishes, desserts or anything that you think would be a nice addition. There is nothing quite like a BBQ with fellow divers. I’m sure there will be some great stories being shared amongst all the old timers and newbie divers alike.

This is our most popular event every year so be sure to reserve gear early and let us know you are planning on coming. Every year local residents and businesses donate their time and boats to help get our divers to the dive site. All we ask is that you help us get a good head count and make a cash donation to cover the costs for fuel.

The boats will depart promptly at 10:00am from the dock located on Inland Divers property. Please arrive by 9:00am to check in and be assigned a spot on your dive boat. We will all tie up together in Hell’s Gate and dive for trash. Non-divers are welcome and are needed to provide topside support helping in the canoe that picks up the bags divers bring up. Once we get the boat loaded up with trash we will head back to the camp site at Inland Divers and have fun and food. Anyone that wants to can dive from the dock and explore one of the oldest dive spots in Texas.

Camping is free. You may camp Friday, and Saturday if you like. On Sunday you may dive from shore or enjoy the nearby nature trails.

Don’t forget to sign up today!

See you soon!
Rich

PS: Keep up with the latest happenings on Facebook’s International Scuba Fan page. Fan us today!

PPS: This event counts towards the Dive Across Texas Contest. We will stamp logbooks for all those that are enrolled.

In addition to the clean up event, I can add only a little.

PK has virtually no quality shore diving, although some intrepid souls might dive from the state park and other public grounds. However, almost all of those are toward the upper end of the lake and/or are shallow slopes that are silt laden and muddy. Vis, of couse, goes down in those conditions.
The problem is that virually every inch of the shoreline is now in private hands other than the very limited public access areas. Now if you have access to a boat, then that's a whole different story. There are actually some very nice places to dive, particularly in the lower reaches, the closer to the dam the better. However, be aware that the area VERY close to the dam is restricted, so pay close attention to the warning buoys.
Sites that I enjoy include Governors Cove (last cove on the north bank before the dam), and I also like the wall on the north side around shoreline marker 12-13. Both provide good walls and even some cuts that are fairly dynamic.
Everyone seems to ask about diving Hell's Gate, and I do make it there once in a while, but boat traffic can be VERY heavy (and the vast majority don't seem to know what a dive flag is), and visibility is typically poor, particularly after rains.
Generally, this time of year the vis is pretty bad for the first 20-25 feet (6-10), but I've found pretty clear (sometimes EXTREMELY clear, by Texas lake standards) water below that first thermocline. Sure, it's cold and dark, but carry a good light and dress for the occasion.
You'll hear a lot of divers lament that "PK isn't what it used to be". Well, that's true, but it can be decent diving, providing you have a boat and the patience to scout out several sites. Have fun!
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom