Diving back into a GoPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not speaking from experience .. but IIRC If you use a camera with a built-in macro, you get near to infinity focus... was it the TG5 I read about on this? I use a Hero 3+ black with SRP red filter. Certainly prefer the SRP red over rival brands.
Unfortunately as I belatedly realized - so far used without protune, but still great clarity and color in many situations... from this year I hope to get even better color balance with protune on.
SRP filter is good stuff. I made the mistake last time of getting the plastic version, scratches too easily. I'll get the glass next time if still an option.
Protune is the way to go. Good for color grading.
This video I made with my Hero3 was shot in Camera RAW, Protune. I was less experienced in color and editing but still came out with good color considering it was an averge depth of 80ft. Lots of shaky footage though.

My next cam is going to be a Sony FDR3000X or an AS300 with bundled UW housing, depending on whether I budget upwards of $1500 for a 4K PC rig at the time. No point taking 4K footage if your desktop cannot handle the video editing part.

Check out the reviews for The Sony too as you decide.

I've glanced over the Sony FDR3000X. It looks promising but I need to see how it compares to the Hero 6, not just in video quality, but features and dive related accessories. I rarely used a viewscreen so that's not a deal breaker. Screens come in really handy during macro but I don't think the current screens are sharp enough to notice fine focus so they're mainly for framing.

I recently updated my PC to handle 4K so I'm good in that department.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom