Diving Bali - from muck to molas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! That's awesome.
Can you give us some details about your rig (camera, lens, lights etc). In particular I'm very interested to know how you can get this kind of magnification while retaining so large depth of field for those macro shots.
Also, how on earth you get these creatures (eg frogfish) moving? The ones I've seen seem like statues.
Thanks and congratulations for your work!

Beautiful video. Lot's of awesome creatures and very professioinal editing. Well done!

Wow! That's awesome.
Can you give us some details about your rig (camera, lens, lights etc). In particular I'm very interested to know how you can get this kind of magnification while retaining so large depth of field for those macro shots.
Also, how on earth you get these creatures (eg frogfish) moving? The ones I've seen seem like statues.
Thanks and congratulations for your work!

Thanks! Camera is my good old Sony RX100Mk3, with two stacked Inon UCL165 wetlenses for the macro shots, and a single video light for closeup. Wideangle is ambient light only.
I'd say the depth of field with my setup is pretty shallow; I have to be at exactly the right distance (3-5cm), and if I or the critter move a tiny little bit I have to readjust distance to keep focus.

As for the frogfish - there is no secret trick I'm afraid, it's just patience and luck. I try to spend lots of time with subjects like that, so I have a chance of capturing some special behavior. Sometimes I think they might be either attracted to or annoyed by my light and move because of this, but most of the time it's the statue behavior for me as well :wink:

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I'm just leaving Padang Bai and was fortunate to see almost everything on your video, even a couple of mola mola!! So wonderful for me, a non-photog to be able to review your video and remember. So thank you again for sharing!

Thanks! Camera is my good old Sony RX100Mk3, with two stacked Inon UCL165 wetlenses for the macro shots, and a single video light for closeup. Wideangle is ambient light only.
I'd say the depth of field with my setup is pretty shallow; I have to be at exactly the right distance (3-5cm), and if I or the critter move a tiny little bit I have to readjust distance to keep focus.

I have a Sony A5100 with the kit 16-50 lens, an Inon UCL 165 plus another +8 diopter close up lenses and a flash and the depth of field is in some cases just a couple of mm or less. I have several pictures with one rhinophore of a nudie or one eye of let's say a shrimp in focus while the other one is not! Your video looks much much better than this. Well done once more!

I have several pictures with one rhinophore of a nudie or one eye of let's say a shrimp in focus while the other one is not!
Yeah I know that problem. One solution (composition, not technical) is to try to get the things you wanna have in focus on the same focal plane. So for example frontal shots of nudis to get both rhinophores in focus, side shot of a tiny frogfish to get the whole frogfish in focus. This depends on the subject's position and is not always possible of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom