Diving crystal river in winter.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gdh61

New
Reaction score
I am in Florida for a few days and wanted to go dive with the manatees at Crystal River.
The three sisters spring is closed for diving during winter but I called them and they said you can take a boat out and if you see some manatees you can dive in. I've called seveal dive shops and tours and the only thing I can find are snorkeling.

Does anyone know of a group that will take you out to dive.

My son and I took a snorkeling trip to see the manatees in Crystal River two years ago March. I asked around for a scuba trip but the manatees were all in 10 feet of water and the providers I spoke with said no to using scuba. That probably doesn't help you but we had a blast snorkeling and free-diving around the beasts (apparently under the law you can't approach them, but they can approach you). I turned around to find one on the surface and it proceeded to push it's face up against my mask and wrap its (flippers?) around my leg. very disconcerting but fun. Good luck. Mark

manatees are harassed by blowing bubbles (i guess its how they argue) and therefore everyone around will only take snorkeling trips to see them.

I am in Florida for a few days and wanted to go dive with the manatees at Crystal River.
The three sisters spring is closed for diving during winter but I called them and they said you can take a boat out and if you see some manatees you can dive in. I've called seveal dive shops and tours and the only thing I can find are snorkeling.

Does anyone know of a group that will take you out to dive.

When are you in Crystal River? I will be there next week and am diving with AmericanProDiving.

You can dive King Spring and Rainbow river. But it is snorkeling with the manatees. I did all three and it was with American Pro.

It was years ago, but we rented a pontoon boat and dove King Spring on scuba. Is that not allowed anymore ?

It was years ago, but we rented a pontoon boat and dove King Spring on scuba. Is that not allowed anymore ?

American Pro also dives King spring. But you take off the scuba and just snorkel for the manatee part.

I have a 16’ Jon boat that makes an ok dive boat for 2/3 divers. I’ve been wanting to make a trip over to dive King Spring. Glad to hear it’s not off limits.

Was hoping to go in the next few days, I called them and they told me they only had snorkeling.
Yeah as far as I'm aware there are rules preventing scuba diving with the manatees. I'm doing the manatees on 12\31 and blue grotto\devils den on 1\2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom