Diving Erie, PA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a little info about the wrecks we are diving for you folks from out west who don't know this side of the lake. Little History Lesson for you. :wink:

Dean Richmond

deanrich.jpg

The Dean Richmond, a twin screw steel over wood steamer, built at Cleveland Ohio in 1864, measuring 238' in length, 35' in beam, and 13.5 in depth. The Dean was one of the most elusive wrecks of Lake Erie. After many failed attemps to find her, she was finally located and salvaged by Gary Kozak in1984. The Dean and all her crew met their demise at the hand of a fierce Lake Erie storm in 1893. She lies today in 115' of water off North East , PA. The ship is inverted but intact except for a hole used by the salvors for penetration. Snoop around the debris and you might find one of the zinc ingots the Dean was carrying when she went to the bottom!

S.K. Martin

skmartin.jpg

S.K. Martin was launched at Benton Harbor, MI in 1883. The 153 ft. wooden steamer was laden with coal when she sprung a leak off Freeport, PA. This veteran steamer fell victim to one of Lake Erie's infamous gales in October of 1912. After losing the battle to mountainous waves, she split a seam, and sank to the bottom at 60 feet. She went down with 500 tons of hard black coal, which you will can inside of her cargo holds.

Lil' Irish Temper:
Here's a little info about the wrecks we are diving for you folks from out west who don't know this side of the lake. Little History Lesson for you. :wink:
What about us folks to the south??:D

Lil' Irish Temper:

Dean Richmond

deanrich.jpg

The Dean Richmond, a twin screw steel over wood steamer, built at Cleveland Ohio in 1864, measuring 238' in length, 35' in beam, and 13.5 in depth. The Dean was one of the most elusive wrecks of Lake Erie. After many failed attemps to find her, she was finally located and salvaged by Gary Kozak in1984. The Dean and all her crew met their demise at the hand of a fierce Lake Erie storm in 1893. She lies today in 115' of water off North East , PA. The ship is inverted but intact except for a hole used by the salvors for penetration. Snoop around the debris and you might find one of the zinc ingots the Dean was carrying when she went to the bottom!

S.K. Martin

The D. Richmond is a wreck I find interesting, but this isn't the type of wreck that you jump into on your first deep Lake dive. It's very cold, deep (recreationally), and inverted, with little to see on the exterior. Only way to see anything is to penetrate into the blast hole in the side, but the entanglement hazard inside makes this one for trained advanced wreck/cavers only experienced in penetration.

I'd recommend selecting one that is rightside up with more relief and stuff to look at. An exception might be the John J Boland, an excellent freighter that is inverted but has plenty to see for recreational divers. However, again I only recommend experienced wreck and cold water divers because it a bit deeper than the Richmond.

Ya might want to look for something in the 60-80 ft range for this area. there's plenty and they're pretty cool.

just a thought...
bob

P.S.
I know there are those on the charter that this won't be a challenge for (I'm guessing Diver_Paula is in this category since she's a MI Wreck diver), but just wanted to give a heads up that this might be a bit aggressive using this particular wreck for a mixed group.

cheers!

Jenny,
At work right now. Got a new phone number, I will call you with it tonight.

Ok, so I was a few days late on replying (calling)................................
Looking foreward to diving in Erie next weekend. I have not backed out, should be there Friday night. PM me the addy please.

I'm trying to see if I can move my work schedule for Friday....I'm scheduled for 11:30 to 8pm again!! Makes it tough for me to make the drive north. (I'd definitely fall asleep at the wheel. DMP has the corner on the drive all night thing!!! He's really good at it.)

If I can, I'll be up.......stay tuned.

You guys have to promise me that you'll take care of my best dive buddy, now.... and have a GREAT time!

Change of plans... the gf wants to use her hotel discount this weekend so we're going to hang out in the Adirondacks... some other time :wink:

Marvel:
You guys have to promise me that you'll take care of my best dive buddy, now.... and have a GREAT time!
Marvel, I'm still trying to make it there!
Hopefully!
Jenny is such a good diver, she's do wonderfully. I just hope she can still kick her legs in that 100mm suit she's looking to find. :crafty:

Marvel:

Okie Dokie Marvel, I will keep an eye on your "Bestest Dive Buddy". I am looking for that wet suit she wants........so far I have not found the thickness she wants. She will do fine with a 7mm or a 6.5mm Farmer John.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom