Diving facts/rumors/ anything like that ;)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mlrtime99

Registered
Reaction score
Hey ppl, I'm new to diving and I decided to choose it as a topic for a speech class speech. Besides showing and explaining all the gear, I"m going to need some diving facts and statistics. So if any of you know any good sites I'd appreciate it. Im' also interested in any accident statistics since those are good attention grabbers... thankx guys. And if anyone is in the Alabama, FL GA region get in touch :)

Hey MlrTime99,

First off welcome to the finest board, SCUBA or otherwise on the net. You are sure to make lots of friends and maybe even pass a class because of it.

For answers to your questions try the DAN website at

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

They are the accident compilers for the industry!!!

:tease:

mlrtime99, welcome to scubaboard!

Some old statitics but still statistics for you:
Football 2.17%
Baseball 2.09%
Basketball 1.86%
Soccer 0.91%
Volleyball 0.37%
Water skiing 0.20%
Racquetball 0.17%
Tennis 0.12%
Swimming 0.09%
Bowling 0.04%
Scuba Diving 0.04%

Accident facts, 1991 Edition; US National Safety Council

Scuba is as safe as bowling....................??

didin't know bowling was a hazardous sport..........:idea:

Lots of sprained thumbs I bet .........:egrin:

Butch :peace:

Butch,
LOL! Recently saw my brother's bowling league and I'm here to tell you that divers are much more buff - these bowling guys might have had balance problems with their beer guts, doing incalculable damage to their ankles as a result. Being in shape allows us divers to keep ankle accidents down to a minimum. As long as we don't drop weights on our ankles, we'll be fine.
Terry

bowling injuries could also occur if you reach for a ball too soon, when it is still moving, and get a finger squashed between 2 bowling balls. Although, flat hands could make for a second pair of fins when diving...hmmm :idea:

I wouldn't waste time worrying about ankles I would much rather spend my time thinking of my TOES!!! I 'm watching the adds for steel toe diving boots :)

I am in Alabama - Montgomery. Dive a lot along the panhandle and in the springs.
Rick

I guess u could get extreme toe strain from do the Fred Flinstone shuffl edown the lanes (tinkle tinkle, tinkle)hehe

Butch :peace:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom