Diving facts/rumors/ anything like that ;)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All accident stats about diving are myths.

No one knows how many divers there are.

No one knows how many dives are made each year.

No one knows how many dive accidents take place.

There are no accurate accident stats.

WWW™

those statistics came from one of PADI's Instructor manuals!

That information helped me get my A-Level in Communication Studies!!!

mlrtime99,

I am in that region, there's many awsome dive spots in the panhandle. If your looking for stats, if it was me, I would get the slide show of cave fatalities and show the group this. Some very shocking figures there. (for that pdf see -> http://scubatech.simplyaquatics.com/presentations/cave_diving_fatalities.pdf )

ScubaBaby, just because it's in the padi manual does NOT make it fact or truth. It could be outdated or just plain mis-information.

Ed

It is out of date..which i actually said at the beginning!

And any piece of information can be misinformed...I was only putting it in as mlrtime99 requested any stats available!

Abby,

It's not merely out of date, it's a lie. PADI knows that there is no way to tell how many divers there are, how many dives are made per year or how many accidents take place. They "estimate" the total number of divers by counting certifications. They ignore the fact that many divers have mulitple certifications and that most have stopped diving for one reason or another. They use reported accidents (a number that is considerably less that the total number of accidents) and compare it with total certifications (a vastly inflated number) to come up with an accident rate that is much lower than the truth. They have a vested interest in making diving appear safer than it actually is.

Anyone who gives diving accident rates is either misleading you or has been mislead. PADI has not been mislead.

WWW™

wow this sure is a fiesty board :) can't we all just get along? :)

Here's a stat for ya - given the chance I would repeat 99.99% of the dives I have dived, not counting the ones I only dove in my head. (did I get that right Joewr?)

Hello,

Well I didn't want to actually come out and say PADI *LIED* (even tho I felt they do).

scubababy, I must have overlooked you saying that, my bad.

Ed

welcome to the real world walter... Every business, agency, government, etc put out stats on the information they have at that moment based on a formula they believe represents what they believe to be true, and i agree that you can make stats say anything you want them to say, however to say PADI does it to mislead people is purely speculation at best.

As for your opinion regardless of if a diver is still diving or not they are still divers and have dived at some point and still alive and able to dive if they wish should make them part of any stats, second what does multiple certs have to do with anything?? if they hold a PADI c-card they are counted. As for accidents.. what do you want them to do? pull accidents out of a hat and add them to the numbers because someone decided to not report it?? come on.. that has nothing to do with any agencies... if you choose to not report something.. its your own fault and no one elses!. And since your so concerned with the truth why dont you come out with your own stats since you seem to no better then everyone else at these agencies. :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom