Diving facts/rumors/ anything like that ;)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

BillP, yes I agree. It's not the 'cold hard facts' like padi puts out (with out the references btw) but it's a sample of how difficult it is to find figures for presentation. None-the-less it does make very good subject matter for a speach to masses (like the original post wanted)

Ed

...cuz I don't buy the "lies, damn lies and statistics" line of thinking. Since I'm an engineer at heart, I hate to admit that there are problems that don't lend themselves to a solution. It would seem simple enough: What's the relative safety of a group of sports? That turns out to be not so simple a question and is no reflection on your post.

I started looking for statistics and ran into a bunch more questions than answers - where did the accident occur, how severe is it, who's collecting the data and how, and who's publishing it? All this leads me to believe that it'd be very difficult to quantify. Sorry if I didn't make that clearer, Walter. You are a sweetheart, actually. :)
Terry

Terry,

I'm not an engineer, nor a statistician, just a new diver with a sense of humor.

An engineer, a physicist, and a statistician were moose hunting in northern Canada. After a short walk through the marshes they spotted a HUGE moose 150 metres away. The engineer raised his gun and fired at the moose. A puff of dust showed that the bullet landed 3 metres to the right of the moose. The physicist, realizing that there was a substantial breeze that the engineer did not account for, aimed to the left of the moose and fired. The bullet landed 3 metres to the left of the moose. The statistician jumped up and down and screamed "We got him! We got him!"

Back
Top Bottom