Diving, Fitness, Obesity and Personal Rights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The cardiac failures, I suspect many are the result of typical male, "I may not be as good as I once was but I am as good as I was once" thinking when in fact they(we) were never that good ever and now much less so and basically totally inadequate. Then get hit with a stressful situation and it is simply too much. And, even relatively fit people can over do it but add obesity and the heart is trying to pump through all that blubber, the chest and breathing restricted by exposure gear etc. and then put that diver into a stressful situation requiring sustained effort, it is game over. The physically fit and on BMI diver is not stressed so easily and recovers when stressed much more quickly.

N

Seems like scuba and snorkeling would be a great sport for a heavy person to lose weight. Burnt 10 times more calories swimming than I ever did biking.

Medical card? Yeah, good luck with that.

I think I may be the guy you are talking about. 72 years old, in reasonable shape but overweight. Here is my take on the discussion:

1- I started diving at 70 because it was the most enjoyable exercise I have found since my days as an athlete.
2- I'm careful with my annual physicals and scrupulously honest on the health questionnaire. Spent much time discussing diving with my MD who is a casual diver.
3- Since I started diving I have been going to a pool 2-3 times a week to swim 500 to 1000 m with snorkel, mask and fins.
4- I have difficulty carrying my gear any distance. Not because of strength but because it hurts my lower back. I'll ask for help if I need it and am willing to pay or tip appropriately.
5- I have difficulty climbing a vertical ladder on small boats with my gear. I arrange in advance to remove weights, scuba unit and fins in the water and hand them up. Never had a complaint. I make it clear I'm willing to pay extra for service.
6- Can climb the stair step type ladder on larger dive boats with my gear.
7- I avoid a dive in a rubber boat where I have to climb the side. I believe I can, but might be a problem if I were fatigued and my 250 lbs would be a lot for someone to drag over the side.

With all that said, I love to dive. I try not to be a burden on anyone but know that I can become more of a problem than the young and frisky. I plan to dive very conservative and work to become the best diver I can be.

One thought. My pilot's license requires a medical card signed by an FAA certified physician. That might not be a bad idea for us older divers. I certainly wouldn't object.

Simple answer really. You have to undertake an annual dive medical. No in date medical card, no dive.

I can not imagine a boat captain taking a copy of your annual dive medical - here captains need to fill the boat not turn away paying customers... Maybe but I dont think so...

On top of that I fill my own air and shore dive or use private boats for most of my diving so for me - I am not sure it would work unless they do it at resort destinations...

I am old and handicapped and fat. I do ok diving. My handicap includes a weak left leg and getting the fin off that foot can be a real PIA. I doff my gear in the water to make it easier to get back in the boat.

I have dove with fellow fat people that were great divers and with fit people that I wouldn't have as a dive buddy on a bet.

Some of the more vocal people in this thread just might look back on this in ten or twenty years and wonder what the h3ll they were thinking :wink:

Around here, if it snows a lot, the experts on local TV tell you not to shovel snow lest you get a heart attack. I haven't heard them say don't go diving. Out of all my friends, the fittest guy is also the stockiest. I think the best exercise for boat diving other than swimming would be walking regularly. And don't smoke.

IMHO - people get too hung up on the wrong thing. I would rather trust my life to an older overweight sensible diver with a few physical issues who knows his limits with some life experience. I try to stay as far as possible away from the young buck fit risk taking blowhard who parties hearty the night before the dive and pollutes his/her body with cigarettes etc.

There is more to being a good diver or good dive buddy than physical assets. What a diver brings to the dive in terms of attitude, maturity and skill IMHO matter more than their girth or age.

Simple answer really. You have to undertake an annual dive medical. No in date medical card, no dive.

A medical testing...what, exactly? The concept of an annual physical exam for general practice is a pretty uniquely American institution, far as I can tell (it has no strict place in how I practice medicine in The Netherlands). Specific screening for treatable risk factors, sure - i.e. weight (which you can do yourself), blood pressure (GP, or buy a meter), cholesterol every once in a while, and evidence-based screening programmes for various forms of cancer (i.e. PAP smears and breast exams for women, and there are pilots here for colon cancer) which are organised on a national level. A cursory search of the evidence indicates that there's really no good evidence base for most of the rest of a physical, let alone a good evidence base for a 'dive physical' in the absence of manifest symptoms or disease.

Adding to what my colleague mentioned about the Bruce treadmill test - when used for determining coronary disease at least - it is a notoriously poor test in terms of reliability in a broad range of subjects, and should really only be used in patients with an intermediate pre-test likelihood of having occlusive coronary artery disease and a normal baseline ECG, where it has reasonably good specificity and sensitivity. Current European and ACA/AHA guidelines are not all that hot on exercise testing in low-risk patients, and pretty much all of the evidence has been collected in people who are at least suspected of having angina pectoris.

Don't get me wrong, preventive medicine is extremely important, and should be guided by evidence; raising awareness and increasing self-management are essential, along with controlling other modifiable risk factors with medication, where appropriate. However, getting a 'full physical' may provide a sense of security to people without specific symptoms. When undertaking something like Scuba, understand the risks involved, be in as good shape as you can, dive within your limits, but understand not all accidents are preventable.

Any mandatory physical for something that mostly entails personal risk (i.e. scuba, rather than piloting a plane) should, IMO, have proven benefit it terms of preventing serious incidents or mortality. Otherwise it's just another useless exercise in unnecessary diagnostics and examination.

Any mandatory physical for something that mostly entails personal risk (i.e. scuba, rather than piloting a plane) should, IMO, have proven benefit it terms of preventing serious incidents or mortality.

Given the current mortality rate for scuba, any proof beyond "anecdotal" will take forever.

My DOT physical was BS. Hasn't made me, or anyone around me, an ounce safer. Especially the hearing test. You can't hear jack in a big rig.

I have friend that is 140# overweight easy. His gut alone, weighs as much as my average girlfriend. (all of her, even the can of hairspray) Drinks a 2 liter of Mountain Dew every day, CPAP cause he can barely breath at night. Passes all of his DOT physicals as well. Pretty sure I don't want to be the car in front of his semi truck when he strokes out.

Noone wants to take away someones right to drive or dive, so the exams end up half arsed. It's a waste of time. Obviously the problem unfit divers, aren't going to be here reading this anyways.

We have bigger problems anyways. Society is doing a good job attacking smoking and obesity, but hardcore drug use is on the rise and no one cares. Heck, were making the stepping stone to these drugs legal in some states.

Especially among the hiking/diving/snorkeling crowds. Meth heads look fit as heck until their skin starts to melt off.

Back
Top Bottom