Diving for a new arrival to Oakland/Berkeley

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Banyan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After several years of living and diving regularly on Guam, work decided to relocate me to Oakland just after I got my divemaster cert. :depressed: I'm now wondering about my diving options. I don't own a car, and don't intend to get one. I'm not sure it would be worth getting regeared if I had to rent a car whenever I wanted to go diving. I can haul my gear (without tanks) in a duffel but the diving people talk about in the area seems pretty far away. Is it possible to dive without a car? The second question is about gear and gear orientation. My rig on Guam was a Kydex plate, 20# wing, and one mil skin suit. Since I consider anything below 80 degrees to be freezing, I'm probably looking at buying a dry suit, steel backplate and a ginormous wing. Any suggestions as to a LDS that can offer an orientation class so I don't kill myself the first time I put on all this new gear, as well as orient me to local diving conditions, in particular shore diving?Thanks!

You *will* need a car. Unless you want to push a wheelbarrow.

1) you need a driver whether diving NorCal or Central CA; remember it doesn't have to be your car :wink:
2) You probably will need a 30lb wing for single tank diving, might even be able to swing 23lbs. Rarely will a diver require a 40lb wing.
3) Kydex plate can work fine. Add a Weighted STA such as Oxycheq's or Halcyon's STA w/ removable 6lb weight
4) Custom weightsuits can keep you mighty warm and are cheaper than dry suits: See Heatwave in Santa Cruz or Otter Bay Wetsuits in Monterey
5) You get used to the cold

For dive shops you can either check in with your home LDS (search google for a list of choices)
Or you can choose a dive shop in Monterey or along the way.

Seven Seas, Bamboo Reef, and Aquarius are in Monterey.
Tropical Adventures and Aqua Safaris are in Santa Cruz (recommend Aqua Safaris here)
Any Water Sports and Diver Dan's are around San Jose
Steele's Discount is in Oakland if you just want a guy to talk to. Jim has great prices on gear, but probably not the type you're looking for. You can at least get booties and a hood from him.

You'll need a car, you'll need a (slightly) bigger wing, and I would recommend a drysuit unless you're a fan of one-tank-dive days. The diving in California is some of the best in the world. It's a little more work to get it, but give it some time and you'll be pleasantly rewarded for your effort.

Oh - I wouldn't worry about a shop. Hook up with some divers and go out. If it's your first time in a drysuit, consider playing around in a pool first. It's not rocket science.

Go straight for a drysuit. A used one with undies will still set you back $500+ though. Nothing wrong using the plate you have, but the harness might need to be lengthened or changed.

Monterey is awesome diving, and I just wish it was closer. Alas the North Coast is most often our dive destination.

Get in with any of the many local clubs to car pool :cool2:. That said IMHO a car in the bay area is largely mandatory, and makes diving a heck of a lot easier. Most folks head for Monterey/Carmel area. Also some good charters are listed here Monterey SCUBA Diving Charter Boats
I dove 7mm for years and liked it fine, now I dive dry and like it even more (usually)
Heavier BP and wing might be good depending how big you are, but for getting going you can probable make do.
welcome and good luck :), it's worth the effort but real different then what you are used to seeing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom