Diving for Beginners in Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LunaBuna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,
We are headed to Puerto Rico next week for 11 days and can't wait! We plan to spend a couple of days in Vieques as well. I've seen several posts on here about places to dive in Puerto Rico but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for tour companies that are geared more towards beginners. We are going to be staying near Fajardo so we're especially interested in that area but we will have a car and we're willing to drive anywhere that's good. Also, we'll have a jeep while we're in Vieques. Thanks for any input.

bioluminescent-bays.jpg

I haven't dove off of Viques, but in Fajardo, I used Sea Ventures. Neuton Dive Special, friendly and very attentive staff and easy dive sites.

_R

There's two main dive shops in Vieques, Black Beard and Isla Nena. I've dove with both, and they're both great. Seems to me, most of their business is Discover Scuba and OW certs. So no worries about being a beginner!

I did my AOW in San Juan with Scuba Dogs. They booked me on a charter out of Fajardo. Looking back the diving was well suited for beginner diver...great region to learn more about diving.

I just came from Puerto Rico yesterday. I was visiting family as I was born and raised there. I dove w Island Scuba at Guanica PR. Is a little far from San Juan but worth the drive. Check my previous post for details or inbox me.

Hi Everyone,
Thank you so much for your input! Ginovega, I will message you. We just got back and unfortunately we didn't end up doing any diving but we did snorkel. We ended up with a few extra hours on Vieques but not enough time to book a charter so we used our Navionics mobile app and found a good dive spot that was appropriate for snorkeling-Maneulki Island (La Chiva). It was awesome!!! Unfortunately we didn't realize the camera we brought didn't have an SD card until we were already in the water so no pics. :-( But I'm including a screen shot of the location from my Navionics mobile app.
Next time we'll try to plan a little more in advance and we'll also have more dive time under out belts.
IMG_0916.PNG
IMG_0917.PNG

I also visited Vieques. I was there w my wife 31 Oct -2 Nov. I snorkeled w wife at Caracas Beach (she is not a diver yet)
It was fun...
If u are planning to go back let me know..I can provide you lots of tips...

I also visited Vieques. I was there w my wife 31 Oct -2 Nov. I snorkeled w wife at Caracas Beach (she is not a diver yet)
It was fun...
If u are planning to go back let me know..I can provide you lots of tips...

This is good to know

I'm pretty much in the same boat you were in. Taking my wife to Puerto Rico the first weekend of February for her birthday. I'd love to get some diving in, but she doesn't dive. She has entertained the idea of a discover scuba class.

Any other advice/tips you have is greatly appreciated.

This is good to know

I'm pretty much in the same boat you were in. Taking my wife to Puerto Rico the first weekend of February for her birthday. I'd love to get some diving in, but she doesn't dive. She has entertained the idea of a discover scuba class.

Any other advice/tips you have is greatly appreciated.

Can't speak for the diving on the main island, but the diving in Vieques is super easy! Hardly any current, and you'd be hard pressed to find a dive under 50 feet.

It might even be a better island for snorkeling. The snorkeling in Vieques is actually what inspired me to become scuba certified!

I am going back to PR first week of Feb for work. I am taking a co-worker and his wife diving on 10-11 Feb. We will be diving w Island Scuba at Playa Santa, Guanica. Let me know if you want to tag alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom