Diving for pain relief?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Introduced a guy needing 42lbs lead (7mm wetsuit) to get neutral to diving these past two weeks. He loves it to be weightless and move freely again.

I'm glad to hear your stories, gives me hope for decades more diving.

Love the wet hyperbaric chamber idea!

Wow, 42 pounds! Is this guy using AL tanks? Maybe it's time to switch to steel :wink:

Two years ago I had an acute problem with my back. I'm sure it happened as I was walking on the golf course and slung my bag over my shoulders awkardly. The pain was excruciating, difficult to walk at times, forget lifting much. Couldn't play golf which I used to play several times a week. Went to the doctor several times - no relief.

This went on for several weeks.

My wife and I had planned a vacation at a Sandals resort that offered unlimited diving and golf, so the doctor prescribed me a bunch of pain killers for the trip. Got to our room in the late afternoon, terrible pain, but decided to give diving a try - it was already paid for.

Following the first dive, the pain in my back disappeared. I was skeptical that it was temporary, but over the next week, the pain never returned, and I cautiously did more and more over the week. Played golf 3 days, 3 additional days of diving. No problems walking or lifting.

It was clear to me that the simulated weightlessness of diving allowed something to realign and eliminate the pinched nerve or whatever the undiagnosed problem was.

I have been pain free since that time.

I'm sure that this type of neutral buoyancy therapy would be helpful to many - if you can get them in the water.

I've got a serious injury to my foot and ankle that are beyond repair after 4 surgeries. Getting TO the water isn't fun, but once I'm in, all good.

The most exciting thing I learned when speaking to @DiveHeart was not ventilator dependent divers, but the fact that diving helps relieve pain. You might remember Laurel Vaukner (sp) who went missing on a dive about 3 years ago, I read she had some serious pain and diving helped relieve it. She used to do yoga at depth. If diving has the potential for pain management it seems to we will be seeing so many changes, physical therapy at depth. Also, the effect seems to last some a couple weeks if I recall. I know I always feel better after, all my minor aches and pains are alleviated.

I've got a serious injury to my foot and ankle that are beyond repair after 4 surgeries. Getting TO the water isn't fun, but once I'm in, all good.

How about getting OUT? My sciatica starts screaming once I'm out of the water.

How about getting OUT? My sciatica starts screaming once I'm out of the water.

For me, it's the weight of the equipment working on the injury. So yea, getting out isn't a picnic either. But, it's manageable.

I slipped two discs 2 weeks before going to do my DM and AI internships this summer (L4-5 and L5-S1). Took a lot of pain relief (codeine, diazepam and Naproxen) and physio before going then pain relief as needed before/after diving. I also have beginnings of arthritis in both knees and normal standing from sitting is already very painful... The dive centre was excellent - they basically banned me from carrying anything, though here's what i found:

- diving itself was totally pain free though i obviously excercised some caution vis positioning in water
- long swims against current were not fun on the knees but nothing too horrific - surface swim for DM was very tough on the knees
- lifting tanks/weights straight up/down using knees was fine for my back but painful on the knees (no more than usual though so i just sucked that up)
- getting into/ out of my gear was difficult but i asked for and received help (release on side of BC and have someone hand you the shoulder straps) so that wasn't a problem
- Walking to from water with gear on was not too bad
- bending over for extended periods was difficult (e.g. washing wetsuits in a tank)
- bending over to lift things (tanks, weights etc.) was excrutiating so i stopped doing that pretty quickly
- getting out (esp on boat or up steps vs. shore entry) was difficult due to knee issues but back was fine

i was quite careful not to get too dosed up on painkillers before diving but often found a codeine tablet helpful afterwards.

Now qualified DM/AI and did my first deco dive - absolutely hooked and want to move into tec (rather than instructing rec)

Happy diving

I still dive and enjoy it. However the aging shoulders and knees have lead me to not volunteer to assist with classes, etc. With a student one needs to be ready to deal with emergencies quickly. My split fins are easy on the knees but not so good for that quick acceleration to get to someone. Have sold my stiffer fins and just use the splits.

I fully realize once I get into tech training in a few years I'm going to have to go back to paddle fins. I hope to find some that don't hurt *too* much. I'm actually going to go to a physical therapist over the winter to see what I can do exercise-wise to strengthen the muscles around my knees and also to see what I can do about my sciatica.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom