Diving from Chicago in early May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LMac8806

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My dad and I will be in Chicago for a few days in early May and were thinking of doing a couple dives. What is the water like that time of year? We both trained in a spring-fed quarry in southern Illinois so we're used to somewhat cold temps. But will we need to dive dry? I'm dry certified but dad isn't. Just wondering if it's even something we should entertain or if we should just wait until another trip.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

My dad and I will be in Chicago for a few days in early May and were thinking of doing a couple dives. What is the water like that time of year? We both trained in a spring-fed quarry in southern Illinois so we're used to somewhat cold temps. But will we need to dive dry? I'm dry certified but dad isn't. Just wondering if it's even something we should entertain or if we should just wait until another trip.

Thanks!

Double Action Dive Charters is the only outfit in town since the other guy retired. The boat goes out of Hammond, IN, just across the border from Chicago.

Home - Double Action Dive Charters

You can do a 7mm, but the water will be cold - probably low to mid 40s. Double Action is the charter arm of DRIS and they do rent drysuits if you’re ds certified.

What’s your experience level?

Double Action Dive Charters is the only outfit in town since the other guy retired. The boat goes out of Hammond, IN, just across the border from Chicago.

Home - Double Action Dive Charters

You can do a 7mm, but the water will be cold - probably low to mid 40s. Double Action is the charter arm of DRIS and they do rent drysuits if you’re ds certified.

What’s your experience level?

We're both under 20 dives. We've done charters/dives through resorts before, not a ton of dives total though.

We're both under 20 dives. We've done charters/dives through resorts before, not a ton of dives total though.

If you’re both under 20 dives, I’m going to suggest the shallow wrecks to begin with.

Yep, very cold waters. Likely between 39F-46F (4C-8C). Dress appropriately.

The Harbors usually open May 1st. Our charter season starts slow and is hit or miss depending on weather, lake conditions, and the number of people signing up.

There is also Haigh Quarry in Kankakee, about an hour drive. That time of year I believe they may still only open weekends, I'd have to check. Nice place, easy diving, gonna be cold too.

You’ll want the $120 wrecks out of Hammond. Must see in that group is the Material Service Barge (40ft). My favorite is the Louisville (60ft), plus the Tacoma (35ft?) is good, too.

Hello! First post on the board, but have been reading for a couple months now. This seemed like a good thread to post in given its recency rather than starting a new one.

A little background, live in Chicago, no car, have some of the equipment needed for a Lake Michigan dive. I've figured out that I'll need to rent a car and rent some gear. I can get that sorted on my own.

I've found the previously mentioned Double Action Dive Charters out of Hammond that looks like a great outfit.

Now where I'm at is that I have no buddies! Dive buddies that is. Also, my experience has either been training or all vacation guided dives. I'm comfortable in the water, but I've never planned and dove with just me and a buddy before.

The Double Action Dive Charters website FAQ recommended their FB page as well as this board for finding a buddy. Does anyone have any tips for a Chicago area site with decent traffic to find a buddy?

Do the charters have buddies for hire?

Seeing as they are mostly wrecks, I imagine planning a dive at a mostly consistent depth should be fairly straight forward and actually a pretty good learning activity, but I may be off here.

Any advice or tips are appreciated! I mostly just want to get a few dives in this summer to shorten the duration between vacation diving.

Thanks.

I’ll respond to you later after work. I’m a regular on Double Action’s boats and can answer all your questions.

Hello! First post on the board, but have been reading for a couple months now. This seemed like a good thread to post in given its recency rather than starting a new one.

A little background, live in Chicago, no car, have some of the equipment needed for a Lake Michigan dive. I've figured out that I'll need to rent a car and rent some gear. I can get that sorted on my own.

I've found the previously mentioned Double Action Dive Charters out of Hammond that looks like a great outfit.

Now where I'm at is that I have no buddies! Dive buddies that is. Also, my experience has either been training or all vacation guided dives. I'm comfortable in the water, but I've never planned and dove with just me and a buddy before.

The Double Action Dive Charters website FAQ recommended their FB page as well as this board for finding a buddy. Does anyone have any tips for a Chicago area site with decent traffic to find a buddy?

Do the charters have buddies for hire?

Seeing as they are mostly wrecks, I imagine planning a dive at a mostly consistent depth should be fairly straight forward and actually a pretty good learning activity, but I may be off here.

Any advice or tips are appreciated! I mostly just want to get a few dives in this summer to shorten the duration between vacation diving.

Thanks.
Chicago Scuba Meetup. Great folks, monthly meetings, plenty of folks to dive with, open to all.

Back
Top Bottom