Diving ghost town in Lake Roosevelt??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And after reading the article I didn't see a clear indication that these features actually still existed and were accessible to divers. Seemed more like a generic "this is what used to be here before the dam" article.

This massage may not be seen as it is six years after the date of the last post, but the old town of Kettle Falls DOES exist. I've personally been there. Summer of 1998 water was exceptionally low. You go to Locus Grove as said, (When the water is low) or you can dive. Easier to find out of water. Standing in the Locus Grove campground parking lot, facing the dock, having the bathrooms on your left, turn your body ninety degrees to the right, and start walking. You will cross over to the small peninsula, keep walking streight til you get to the other side of the peninsula. Once you are on the beach, start walking north about half a mile or so. The town is there. At least the sidewalks and foundations of the other buildings are there. Metal detector picked up alot of noise, but was not equiped to dig as deep as I needed to.

I visited this site several times. Dove on it illegally a couple times. I strongly recomend it because to my knowledge, myself and one other person are among a lucky few who have seen this site since the flooding of the vally's.

As far as haunted? Can't say. But I have seen some things there I could not explain.

As far as haunted? Can't say. But I have seen some things there I could not explain.

awesome.........

This massage may not be seen as it is six years after the date of the last post, but the old town of Kettle Falls DOES exist. I've personally been there. Summer of 1998 water was exceptionally low. You go to Locus Grove as said, (When the water is low) or you can dive. Easier to find out of water. Standing in the Locus Grove campground parking lot, facing the dock, having the bathrooms on your left, turn your body ninety degrees to the right, and start walking. You will cross over to the small peninsula, keep walking streight til you get to the other side of the peninsula. Once you are on the beach, start walking north about half a mile or so. The town is there. At least the sidewalks and foundations of the other buildings are there. Metal detector picked up alot of noise, but was not equiped to dig as deep as I needed to.

I visited this site several times. Dove on it illegally a couple times. I strongly recomend it because to my knowledge, myself and one other person are among a lucky few who have seen this site since the flooding of the vally's.

Thanks for this post, it's never too late to put in more information. I am heading out that way in August and am looking for some dive areas.

The town is the old fort Marcus. Streets and sidewalks are supposed to be there still. Also the old railroad bridge was left in place.
If you are interested to see before you dive plan to be there on April 30 this year. The lake will be drawn down for flood control to elevation 1225 or so. Not sure if the bridge will still be there. Make yourself some mud shoes before you go.

I work with the folks that coordinate the operation of the dam and have been curious about diving the old towns.

Be aware that there are tribal cultural artifacts that you will NOT want to disturb in the lake. There are cemeteries that did not get moved in time before the lake was filled.

If you observe artifacts report the location to the park service. There are tribal personel that will ensure that they are handled properly.

Portland diver

Stirring up an old thread that just won't die. Perhaps it is another Lake Roosevelt in the PNW that is fueling these rumors as well:
Scuba & H2O Adventure Magazine

Interesting thread, my wife and visit the area regularly, but not frequently and would love to check out some of the lake. Hoping to retire up there in a few years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom