Diving Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msange1

Registered
Reaction score
We will be in Oahu and Kona in May. If anyone has been to either of these islands I would like some feedback on best dive sites and dive companies. Thanks for any info... :crafty:

I dove both Oahu and the Kona coast in 2002 had a great time. Used Jacks diving locker in Kona. Dove on the north shore of Oahu with Deep Ecology. Both very friendly and professonal shops. Also plan some time for snorkling or diving in Hunama bay.

www.deepecology1.com
www.jacksdivinglocker.com

Hawaii has some fun diving. I've been to Kona enough to have 8 weeks of diving days now. I have come to really enjoy diving with Jacks Diving Locker. I've tried others and can not recommend them, some I thought were running very dangerous operations. I have been lucky enough to have dove with most all of their DMs at Jacks' now, and can say, tell them what you want to do and what you want out of a DM so that they pair you up appropriately. If you don't tell they won't know. I did not check but I hope you have advanced ratings, if so, wreck of the naked lady, long lava tubes are must dives. The best of all is the Manta night dive, do a few if you can. The more you do the friendlier the Manta's are. Keller Laros, originated the PADI speciality for that, and is an amazing wealth of knowledge and passion for those animals. If the weather permits the adv dives (SE) are amazing. If you stay at the King Kamamama (sp?) you can just walk over to the boat after the first day and walk back skipping the van ride.

In Oahu, I liked Ocean Concepts, but again adv dives. One of the other companies there cancelled dives for two days and then was a major pain trying to get a refund as they charged your card when you signed up.

SAFE Diving and please write a dive report.

We will be in Oahu and Kona in May. Planning on diving both islands. This is our first trip to Hawaii. Any info on dive sites as well as dive companies would be great help. Thanks........... :crafty:

Try www.shorediving.com if you are interested in doing some shore diving.

We just returned from Kona, and found that the shore diving was excellent. Though the folks at the dive shops try to steer you away from shore diving, in favor of their boat dives :D

I dove with Dive Makai and thought they had a very good operation. They have a web site, if you search on the name, you should find it. Very friendly people and they do an excellent pre-dive briefing. When you go to the big island, don't pass up a shore dive at Pu’uhonau o Honaunau (City of Refuge). This is a national park and has a wonderful dive from the old lava flows See my dive report at http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=61912

Back
Top Bottom