Diving HMS Hermes Part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rather amusing to some extent.

Feli is improving the "resort" bit by bit, not an easy task in a country like Sri Lanka, and certainly something that people in first world countries may not understand.

Yes it's still basic but Feli is investing in it to improve the place and we gave him some positive feedback where he should improve. I have never been on an Aggressor live aboard so I can't comment on the luxury they provide. I have noticed on their website that one is now planned to operate off Oman and the east coast of UAE.
The Tech Asia 2010 Charter stayed at the Riviera Resort by the Kallady Bridge -delicious Sri Lankan cuisine and comfortable lodging. Feli barely had the compressor building and two guest houses built, not at all ready for overnight accommodations at the time.

We had trouble with the Tamilese Fishermen, who assaulted one of our boat drivers while we were diving on Hermes: they accused us of scaring all the schooling fish away. Feli got in contact with a regional Army Major (this physically big Sri Lankan Officer actually had a "Ranger Tab" indicating he completed US Army Ranger Leadership Qualification School!): The last few dive days we had armed police/soldiers standing-by on guard in a skiff. . .

I did see that resort near the bridge and was thinking hot showers :)

All of Feli's boat crew are from Negombo near Colombo and are Sinhalese origin not Tamil, given the history between them and the time you dived there I am not surprised there was some confrontation. Feli did mention to us that there had been confrontation between them I the past.

I was always a bit concerned with their fishing boats coming close when we were surfacing.

I did see that resort near the bridge and was thinking hot showers :)

All of Feli's boat crew are from Negombo near Colombo and are Sinhalese origin not Tamil, given the history between them and the time you dived there I am not surprised there was some confrontation. Feli did mention to us that there had been confrontation between them I the past.

I was always a bit concerned with their fishing boats coming close when we were surfacing.
Feli's "dive resort" still doesn't have hot water?:shakehead:

Next time you return, I recommend staying at the Riviera Resort, or at the very least eating Lunch and/or Dinner over there.

Very heavy stiff surface and medium depth current when I dove Hermes on double Alu 11L cylinders. Had to pull myself down the anchorline hand-over-hand, blowing through 50 bar already of 21/35 Trimix before getting in the lee of the wreck proper. And on drifting deco, we deployed our SMB's up early at our 21m nitrox50 stops, so the boat crews could spot us early, especially on the late afternoon dives. (Brought a Halcyon Diver's Life Raft, a PLB and a small source of drinking water just in case of a "lost at sea" worst case scenario).

Conditions were pretty much ok during the times we dived apart from one day when Feli missed the wreck and we descended to an anchor resulting in an aborted dive.

Actually we could see the wreck but one of the two Americans I was diving with thumbed the dive, so I had an 11 minute dive and used 30 bar in the twins.

There was some strong current at the bottom on a couple of the dives but once in the lee of the superstructure it was easy to move around and explore.

Only once did I do a blue water ascent, all other dives we came up the anchor line.

For the last two days the line was secured on the wreck with water bottles as buoys.

We frequently carry drinks with us during our deep dives off UAE (Pocari Sweat bottles), I like that camel back bladder, will look at preparing something to try out soon. My last dive here in UAE was 96 mins and my throat was parched at the end of the dive.

PLB is also a good idea, I actually have one too

As for the liferaft, perhaps not a bad idea but perhaps a bit OTT

I usually carry Snickers bars in a sealed plastic bag in one of my pockets when I dive off Musandam, having had a long wait for a pick up there once.

1. Solar panels are up and running however being shared by 3 rooms....problematic since everyone returns to the room more or less at the same time.
2. Any buoy left behind after the dive is more than likely will be removed by the fishermen.
3. Large school of fish near the bow so I can understand the local fishermen do not like divers.
4. Surface current and wave(stir up by wind) are most annoyance and uncomfortable.
5. Drift deco would be a better option.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom