Diving in and around Puerto Morelos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did 7 local dives with Dive in Puerto Morelos when I visited in 2010. The C56/Juan Escutia was a good dive, school of Eagle Rays, lots of fish. The reefs were not dazzling, but fun. I did not partake, but know they also offered cenote dives. There are a number of other operators in the area. This topic has been discussed previously on SB, try search.

1) The C56/Juan Escutia
2) Bull sharks at Playa del Carmen
3) Cenotes
4) Cozumel
5) Your typical generic local reef dives

From this list, I did 1, 3, and 5, and wholeheartedly recommend C56 and cenotes.

Puerto Morelos has lots of neat, easy reef dives with gobs of fish. Harder to get an operator to take you out in the current, but can be done. Tulaka is a good op.

So we figured out our plan. Wondering if anyone has experience with either WetSet or Ruben in Puerto Morelos.

So we figured out our plan. Wondering if anyone has experience with either WetSet or Ruben in Puerto Morelos.
We dove with Wetset for a dozen years or so until Paul sold the shop. Did one day with the new owners and that was enough. It has changed hands once or twice since. Tulaka and the new shop Southeast of the square are good to dive with and charge around $70. Wet Set charges $99. The people at Tulaka really like to dive, not just a business for them.

We dove with Wetset for a dozen years or so until Paul sold the shop. Did one day with the new owners and that was enough. It has changed hands once or twice since. Tulaka and the new shop Southeast of the square are good to dive with and charge around $70. Wet Set charges $99. The people at Tulaka really like to dive, not just a business for them.

Paul Hensley? In my early 20s during the summer of 1998, I decided to learn how to dive. Took a greyhound from NC down to the Mexico border and switched to local buses to get to Puerto Morelos, nonstop all the way. After arrival I walked down the beach a few minutes randomly looking for a dive shop, found Paul and signed up for OW. Finished my course and headed back to NC the same way I came.

Good times, (aside from the greyhound rides), I really enjoyed my OW lessons from Paul. Sorry for the off topic, this brought back memories...

Paul Hensley? In my early 20s during the summer of 1998, I decided to learn how to dive. Took a greyhound from NC down to the Mexico border and switched to local buses to get to Puerto Morelos, nonstop all the way. After arrival I walked down the beach a few minutes randomly looking for a dive shop, found Paul and signed up for OW. Finished my course and headed back to NC the same way I came.

Good times, (aside from the greyhound rides), I really enjoyed my OW lessons from Paul. Sorry for the off topic, this brought back memories...
Paul was the best. We started diving with him in 1997 and never changed till he sold the shop. We had 12 years of cold water PNW diving behind us when we first went with Paul and we never took a class from him but we really learned to dive from him.

That first year in the evening I would play chess in the restaurant at Ojo De Agua with another dive shop owner. He would ask what we had done that day. His response would be "Very dangerous, very dangerous". What a ride!

In 1998 he would have been in a little booth by the Caribbean Reef Club. When a hurricane destroyed that and part of CRC Paul moved to the shop at Ojo De Agua.

Paul was the best. We started diving with him in 1997 and never changed till he sold the shop. We had 12 years of cold water PNW diving behind us when we first went with Paul and we never took a class from him but we really learned to dive from him.

That first year in the evening I would play chess in the restaurant at Ojo De Agua with another dive shop owner. He would ask what we had done that day. His response would be "Very dangerous, very dangerous". What a ride!

In 1998 he would have been in a little booth by the Caribbean Reef Club. When a hurricane destroyed that and part of CRC Paul moved to the shop at Ojo De Agua.
I remember back then that Paul said "I dive every morning at 9. If you want to go, be here."

My wife got certified with Ruben, and we did a couple trips with him and his crew in 2016. We were both happy with the experiences. The reefs are so close to Puerto Morales that the boat and the number of divers he took out were really small. I would dive with him again.

Back
Top Bottom