Diving in Egypt, recommendations for areas please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

popo's dad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi
I'm planning to go to Egypt in October and i'm looking for some recommendations for dive areas and hotels please.
I've been thinking of either Sharm el Sheik or Hurghada.
Where are the best dives from? What dives do you recommend, wrecks etc. Where are the best house reefs etc, i've heard that Hurghada doesn't have house reefs close by and they're only accessable by boat. Does anyone have any recommendations on areas and hotels with dive centres in please?

thanks

A mixture of both, we want to do some boat dives and wrecks but also we'd like to just grab a tank one afternoon and jump in by a houser reef

The vast majority of diving in Dahab is shore diving. It's not just house reef diving. The dive sites are world-class, although easily accessible from shore. No wrecks though.

For boat diving, try Sharm El Sheikh. In my humble opinion, boat diving in Sharm is better than that of Hurghada.

shore diving is great as well, we just don't want to have to take a boat to every site, it'd be nice just to grad a couple of tanks from the hotel dive centre one afternoon and just jump in

Marsa Allam is lovely! :0)

Hi there... the hotels that are based at the more Northern end of Naama Bay in Sharm El Sheikh have a lovely house reef for a spot of shore diving, as well as access to all the regular sites via dive boats. These hotels include the Hilton Fayrouz (and Hilton Dreams across the road), the Novotel Beach and Marriott Beach (and Marriott Mountain across the road). The reef here, is particularly pretty in the shallows with a sea grass area where you will sometimes find a huge green turtle, or various kinds of ray (some really big).

There is some great diving from the boats here too... with beautiful garden and wall dives in both Ras Mohammed and Tiran, as well as nice gentle shallow dives on the local sites... great for your first day's diving.

There are also a couple of wrecks nearby namely the Dunraven and Thistlegorm too, which are well worth diving. Many centres also offer day trips up to Dahab for a change of scenery if you fancy a taste of diving up there too. Best of both worlds eh?

October is a great time of year to come, as the water is still relatively warm, with the air temperature not being quite the searing heat of August. Hope you have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom