Diving in Florida Lakes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lake Denton in Avon Park. Clear blue water, mostly brim and small bass to see, and no gators. Depth to about 50' and visibility is usually about 20' (although it can be worse). Diving from the public access boat ramp is free.

I took a referesher there (Lake Denton) last week. It was way clearer than I expected for a Florida Lake. The Hula Hoops are a nice touch for buoyancy drills. For what its worth, this is where Tiger Woods got his open water certification a year or two ago. (Here's comes the Tiger jokes). There are also three sunk boats for navigation practice. If you dig a clam up from the bottom and feed the bream, they follow you like a bunch of puppy dogs. My son was getting his Open Water Diving Certification when I was taking my referesher, and after he fed the fish, I looked behind and there were about 50-60 bream/specks following him. It was somewhat comical looking. I really am not too hip on diving most lakes here because of the gators. The logical mind tells me they wont bother me but the emotional mind doesn't buy it.

I've seen some decent viz while sailing some lakes here in Central Florida, but there's not really much depth nor anything to see at the bottom.

I took a referesher there (Lake Denton) last week. It was way clearer than I expected for a Florida Lake. The Hula Hoops are a nice touch for buoyancy drills. For what its worth, this is where Tiger Woods got his open water certification a year or two ago. (Here's comes the Tiger jokes). There are also three sunk boats for navigation practice. If you dig a clam up from the bottom and feed the bream, they follow you like a bunch of puppy dogs. My son was getting his Open Water Diving Certification when I was taking my referesher, and after he fed the fish, I looked behind and there were about 50-60 bream/specks following him. It was somewhat comical looking. I really am not too hip on diving most lakes here because of the gators. The logical mind tells me they wont bother me but the emotional mind doesn't buy it.

... you weren't perhaps going through Dayo Scuba for this, were you? If so, I think I met you out at Alexander Springs where I was taking photos while the Dayo people did their class. :)

Tiger has been certified for a while actually. I know he was spearfishing the Middle Grounds over 5 years ago.

And he completed full cave 3-4 years ago. He's been far beyond OW for a long time.

If you're looking for freshwater diving in FL, be sure and hit the springs/sinks. They're all over the place. Many of them do not require cavern or cave certification as they're essentially open water sites.

Can you just turn up and dive at Lake Denton or do you need to get permission first? And does anyone know what hours it is open or what the parking is like?

If you're looking for freshwater diving in FL, be sure and hit the springs/sinks. They're all over the place. Many of them do not require cavern or cave certification as they're essentially open water sites.

How do you find them? I have a few books on FL dive sites and only the big springs are mentioned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom