Diving in Germany?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daitium

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone, I'm visiting Germany at mid July. I will have 4 days free from 15 July to 18 July, I want to dive wrecks at Kiel, any good dive shop there? Also from Kiel to Cologne, any good dive sites? Thank you.

Try looking at Google maps with it set to show dive sites. Sites that are very popular or esp. remarkable will often have links to more information.
With the name of a site you can search using the site name or nearly villages/towns/cities to find some local clubs/shops/instructors and shops listing it as one of their dive sites.

If you have fairly good German skills:
I would also find out what is (are) the major German-language dive magazine and buy a copy (or several), digital or otherwise.

Hi everyone, I'm visiting Germany at mid July. I will have 4 days free from 15 July to 18 July, I want to dive wrecks at Kiel, any good dive shop there? Also from Kiel to Cologne, any good dive sites? Thank you.

Hi.

Did you find any places to dive in germany? Wanted to dive in the baltic sea.

Hi Daitium,

Hemmoor in northern Germany (relatively next to Kiel), is a good diving spot. It's an old quarry, I've never been there but it's on my list to visit.

See Tauchbasis Kreidesee - "die Beste im Norden" for more information.

Please read the requirements for diving there, they seem high demanding in relation to your diving expierience and equipment.

It seems that there is not much for an answer here, so let me give it a try:

If you are looking for at least some wreck diving contact scubalu.de - mit Sicherheit einfach Meer erleben at tauchen@scubalu.de. The shop is located near Kiel in Neumuenster. They do boat trips from Thursday to Sunday. Maybe they can help you out.

Water temperature in the Baltic sea is between 16 and 18 degrees Celsius in the summer so no warm water here.

If you are looking for WWII wrecks Kiel is not really the right place to go. Those sites are locted around Danmark, not necessarily Kiel.

Diving in Germany away from the coastline is mainly diving in lakes through local dive shops and bases at the lakes. Even in the summer these lakes have around 10 degrees Celsius below 6 meters and around 4 degrees Celsius from 15 meters.

On the way from Kiel to Cologne you might take the detour to Hemmoor. Hemmoor has those temperatures just mentioned so it is dry suit diving and diving with two first stages to prevent freezing first stages followed by a blow-out of all your air. Hemmoor is not the place to have first experiences with cold-water diving. Close to Cologne is Duisburg with an old gas tank within an abandoned ironworks place. That is a pretty nice experience, too. Go here Größtes Indoor Tauchbecken Europa´s TauchRevierGasometer - Startseite and write the guys at info@tauchrevier-gasometer.de.

Hemmoor is a great spot to dive. You can have fun at 10m, or at 59m (if your training allows it, ofcourse). Spent a long weekend diving there, but I'm still dying to go back and explore more (hopefully next time on trimix). They have one very specific requirement for equiment, namely two individual valves, and 2 first stages. You can find the full list of rules here.

I just came back from Kreidesee Hemmoor, dove it July 25, 2015 - and wrote a post on the equipment forum regarding the reason for the bi-valve requirement.

I am also posting here to let everyone know, that this quary and the dryland area around it is an absolute divers paradise! - I have never seen so many divers of all skill levels (but mostly advanced and above) have so much fun together. Despite there being at least 100 divers (if not more) on a cloudy/rainy Saturday, the lake is so big, and the entry/exit stations so plentiful, that it does not feel crowded at all, we did not bump into any divers underwater. As a matter of fact, it feels great to be together with so many divers of all shapes, forms and ages. The camping ground has cars with license plates from all over Europe. I hate to think, that was it not for my German Dive body I met in Honduras and him inciting to come to Kreidesee to dive with him, I would probably had missed this IMHO "bucketlist" dive site entitrely!

Baltic sea sounds great, I haven't contact any dive shop yet.

I guess the OP did not bother to come back and share experiences...

Hemmoor is a great spot to dive. You can have fun at 10m, or at 59m (if your training allows it, ofcourse). Spent a long weekend diving there, but I'm still dying to go back and explore more (hopefully next time on trimix). They have one very specific requirement for equiment, namely two individual valves, and 2 first stages. You can find the full list of rules here.
Just wanted to pick up on 2 first stages rule. Does it apply to the whole germany or just that specific dive site? Does the H valve on one tank match the requirements?
Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom