Diving in groups of odd numbers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of my dives are with two other buddies. The easiest way I have found to do a threeway buddy team is not try to keep up with both (you will spend your whole dive keeping track of them) but with just one. Lets say you are diver A. You keep up with diver B, Diver B keeps up with diver C and diver C keeps up with Diver A. Its worked great for us for several years but then again we are all friends and have been diving this way for a while.

It helps tremendously when diving as a threesome if all three use high power lights at all times. Using the lights as a means of communication lets all three divers be aware of each other without having to be directly in each other's line of sight.

That being said, I think a threesome requires more work for everyone. In effect you have two buddies to look out for and keep track of instead of just one. As mentioned above, when problems arise, there can be situations where you may have to choose which problem to deal with. With only one buddy, there is no ambiguity, so there is less to think about.

I've dived with to other divers. We had a difficult time keeping track of each other. One diver was really fast the other really slow. I was in the middle looking both ways.

The only upside: it's better than not diving at all.

I love to dive, generally any way I can get it. However, threesomes tend to be problematic. I dive basically with two others. Sometimes with one , or the other, or both. It seems we have the most inconsistancey when we dive as a trio. We all have dove for years. We all do Technical profiles. But when we dive as a trio invariably someone is almost out of sight or for some reason they want to stay, or go deeper, it makes me crazey. I would worry if we got seperated but have all the faith in their ability and equipment as I do my own, that they would return safely. We have a predetermined area to meet in this event anyway. I suppose I like diving in pairs or solo.......

The people who can't abide by the rules in a threesome would probably also ditch you on a buddy dive. Make sure your on the same page before the dive. Low viz? Use a buddy line. Works with three just as well as two.

Back
Top Bottom