Diving in Iceland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding flight:

I flew with Wow Air from Berlin to Reykjavik and baggage was a disaster: They charged me >40€ for 4kg of extra weight.
Sports equipment is only 15kg for them, normal baggage 20kg. Needless to say, for my flight home I will use another airline.

Keep that in mind when booking.

Regarding trip:

All major dive shops in Iceland will offer single or multiple day tours. I did the 3 day Reykjavik Tour that Dive.IS offers and was very happy with it. Of course the 5 or even 10 day tours are even nicer but they blew my budget :wink:

Again: There are other dive centers in Reykjavik which offer similar services. I am sure they deliver top services as well, but I do not have first hand experience with them.

I think 3 day tour would be a little too much. Yes, I would be more interested in just diving with a local buddy, but if dive shops do not rent out equipment outside tours, it does not seem plausible. I cannot take my tanks or weights on a plane with me.

Assuming I go with a one-day tour, what equipment do I have to bring with me? Most dive shops where I live rent out tanks, BC's, weights, exposure suites and hoods, but not fins, masks, gloves or boots.

I think 3 day tour would be a little too much. Yes, I would be more interested in just diving with a local buddy, but if dive shops do not rent out equipment outside tours, it does not seem plausible. I cannot take my tanks or weights on a plane with me.

Assuming I go with a one-day tour, what equipment do I have to bring with me? Most dive shops where I live rent out tanks, BC's, weights, exposure suites and hoods, but not fins, masks, gloves or boots.

All I brought was my mask and computer and felt fine with that.

Did you go on just one Silfra trip, or several?

You can bring all the equipment you like to use, i.e. if you bring everything except for tank and weights they will be provided and you can use your own equipment.

If you don't bring anything, everything will be provided.

In fact, there is a discount if you bringt your own gear (Dive.IS):

We also offer partial discounts as follows:
  • Dry Suit and undergarment: ISK 2.000,-
  • BCD: ISK 1.500,-
  • Regulator set: ISK 1.500,-

Since I use a computer with AI, DiveIceland was cool enough to let me put my transmitter on their regulator.

Thank you, I will contact DiveIceland when my trip gets close.

Since I use a computer with AI, DiveIceland was cool enough to let me put my transmitter on their regulator.

That's good to know - by coincidence I just sent them an email asking the same question about an hour ago!

How was it with the dry suits? Do they require a dry suit specialty for renting one?

Back
Top Bottom