Diving in Kona, Hi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brihno

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone,
I recently reurned from a week in Kona where I got to see a lot of neat things in the ocean. While there I dove with Pacific Rim Divers, who I highly recommend, they took us out where we saw bottlenose dolphins and some awesome eagle rays flying in formation. Of course there were the usual reef fish and a couple of different kinds of eels (including a rarely seen Giant Moray). But, you know it's interesting that as beautiful (and warm) as the water is there, I found myself longing for the cold green waters off of the Oregon/ California coast. I haven't been doing much diving this summer, but I am hoping to get a little time in water that I forgot how much I loved. So now when I read about a beautiful dive site in some remote place I won't be envious any more because I realize how much our little piece of coast rocks!

brihno:
Hey everyone,
I recently reurned from a week in Kona where I got to see a lot of neat things in the ocean. While there I dove with Pacific Rim Divers, who I highly recommend, they took us out where we saw bottlenose dolphins and some awesome eagle rays flying in formation. Of course there were the usual reef fish and a couple of different kinds of eels (including a rarely seen Giant Moray). But, you know it's interesting that as beautiful (and warm) as the water is there, I found myself longing for the cold green waters off of the Oregon/ California coast. I haven't been doing much diving this summer, but I am hoping to get a little time in water that I forgot how much I loved. So now when I read about a beautiful dive site in some remote place I won't be envious any more because I realize how much our little piece of coast rocks!
I enjoy tropical diving (it's something different), but I feel the same way as you. I end up missing the diving back home.

I'm with ya on that one. I like tropical diving but it gets boring seeing the same terrain, critters and such...
I like it up here in the PNW where within a few hours drive/or boat time you can do walls, pinicales, different critters at different sites...
PNW diving is the best.
K

Me too. Warm water diving is fun and easy, diving in the PNW, while it isn't necessarily easy, can be more fun and rewarding. You just can't find the GPO anywhere else.

just got home from diving secret spot number 101a off the crescent city coast the water was a balmy 49 deg F. This dive is probably my favorite dive down here the water is around 100 fsw with anywhere from 30 to 70' vis depending on conditions. The rock sticks strait up from the bottom making this on a wall dive. There are tons of sea-lions so you have to be a little careful (especially during mating season as I hear that they aren't too picky. The rock is purple which is way cool and covered with urchins and anemones (there might be a few scallops there as well.) This dive is a little scary from the surface, as in: I was too scared the first time out there to even dive. The surge which travels in both vertical and horizontal directions moves you like 15 or 20 feet at shallower depths (although it's non-existent at 100 fsw). Sounds pretty good huh? too bad its a secret :}

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom