Diving in Krabi/Phuket??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TigerShark

Reaction score
Hi there,

i've ppl who told me that if i were to dive in Thailand,i might as well skip Krabi and head straight to Phuket.....

But i went over the map of the dive sites and infact i guess diving off from Krabi or Phuket are pretty much the same as the sites can be reached by both sides.

Anybody has any advice to offer??

Well...which DC would you guys recommend??
(Krabi and Phuket)

Most likely to go for day-trips only........

Which dive sites do you guys think is worth going?

How's the diving like at Phi Phi Island?

Thanks in advance!!!

:wink:

I can answer this one!

I've been to Krabi twice and once to Phuket in the last twelve months.

Don't ask me ever to go back to Phuket, even if you paid my trip and gave me extra money I wouldn't go.

Yes, you are right, except for a couple dives you can't share, divesites from Krabi (Ao Nang) and Phuket are basically the same.

But Krabi is still pure Thai, whereas Phuket is only business (and unfortunately that very largely include sex too).

Phi Phi is fine, but I wouldn't say it's the best in the area, I very much appreciate local dives done out of a very small long-tail boat.

If you decide upon Ao Nang, which is the beach area of Krabi, go for Easy Divers, and ask to dive with King, he's a young Thai Assistant Instructor and though his English is sometimes limited and limiting, he's probably the best buddy I ever had.

I don't know about Krabi, but I have been to Phuket many times and Phi Phi. If you are going to stay on land and do daytrips Phi Phi may be a good choice. It is a beautiful island. Perhaps too exploited now after the movie The Beach. We usually go on a liveaboard from Phuket up to the Similans which is really nice. Good luck and nice diving!

Thanks guys.......that's realli helpful..........

err......any Queen though??

just kidding........:bounce: :D

chiara once bubbled...
I can answer this one!

I've been to Krabi twice and once to Phuket in the last twelve months.

Don't ask me ever to go back to Phuket, even if you paid my trip and gave me extra money I wouldn't go.

Yes, you are right, except for a couple dives you can't share, divesites from Krabi (Ao Nang) and Phuket are basically the same.

But Krabi is still pure Thai, whereas Phuket is only business (and unfortunately that very largely include sex too).

Phi Phi is fine, but I wouldn't say it's the best in the area, I very much appreciate local dives done out of a very small long-tail boat.

If you decide upon Ao Nang, which is the beach area of Krabi, go for Easy Divers, and ask to dive with King, he's a young Thai Assistant Instructor and though his English is sometimes limited and limiting, he's probably the best buddy I ever had.

Is there any website for Easy Divers??

Which part of the beach are they located??

How much do they charge for day-trip??

What accomodations are good and cheap nearby??

Soorri for the questions again man...........:wink:

Is it true that almost all Phuket dive sites can be reached from Krabbi? Shark Point, Anemone Reef, and King Cruiser? Raja Noi?

Anyway with a speedboat you can reach Hin Daeng from Phi Phi or Krabbi. This is a great dive site.

I concur that Phuket is not a native Thai scene, especially the cowboy scene in Patong Beach. But it isn't boring and is interesting to experience just once.

There are several good diving centers in Krabi, arond Aoi Nang. The problem would be whether you intend to dive with foreign own diving center or not. Most of the Thai diving center do employ foreigners, with the aility to speak English, French, German and Japanese.
Aoi Nang it self, near the beach front is a bit too noisy and crowded, at least for me. I prefer to stay in "hut" or "cabin" tpe, which are not next to the beach. Ususlly these places pick you up at the airport, take you to the pier nad of course transport you back to the airport. By the way they do ahve swimming pools for relaxation as well.
Sorry I don't have the pcitures in my office computer. But will try to send you some this evening.

Phuket is not that bad although there are parts as bad as Chiara says - Patong beach and parts of Phuket Town come to mind. Kata and Karon beaches are good fun places to be and they are convenient for Chalong where the dive boats leave from (10-12 minutes from Kata).

If you decide on Krabi then Phra Nang divers are good. They have a web site which I think is www.pndivers.com. as for accomodation Railei Beach is a good spot - about 10 minutes from Ao Nang beach by longtail.

Just the pictures that I had. Truth to say, I am not used to bathrooms and toilets without roof but after 2 or 3 visits, I sort of don't mind too much. I don't know if they have a web site or not, but I may be able to dig out phone/fax number. Can't remember the exact price, but if it is not too high for Thais, then it should be rather cheap in your eyes, I guess.

Rai Leh has one of the best or most popular hotel there, Dusit Rayawadee, but I only have enough money to go for a walk. Heard from some friends that the room can go as high as 10,000 - 40,000 Baht a night. So it is definitely out of my range, but so beautiful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom