Diving in New Mexico's lakes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ToddK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has experience in diving in the lakes of New Mexico, besides the Blue Hole? Has anyone dove Navajo lake?

I normally dive in Monterey on business trips, but am trying to find something closer to home (Albuquerque)... Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi - yes there is some good diving in the lakes as well. I did my night and navigation dives in a lake not far from the Blue Hole. I can't remember the name though. Good dock to go off and they sunk a plane there to explore - about 30 feet down. Pretty good visibility as long as someone hasn't been in there to stir things up...

Jeff

The name of the lake is Perch Lake, and it's only a mile or so from the Blue Hole. I've been in there at times when the vis was astonishing - 40'+. The plane (an old twin engine Cessna) is an easy penetration.

Joe

Conchas Lake State Park in Conchas
Elephant Butte State Park
Navajo Dam State Park
Morgan Lake in Farmington
Lea Lake in Bottomless Lakes State Park near Roswell (dive with aliens!)

I haven't been to any of these, but I hear that Lea Lake is very clear. Happy hunting.

Joe

There's a book, called "The Lakes of New Mexico", which is avaliable from amazon.com, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...7006841/sr=8-5/ref=sr_8_5/103-9805749-9867808, as well as in the "local interest" section of New Mexico bookstores, at the airport, at National Park Service gift stores, etc.

The book description from amazon says:

This comprehensive guide to the lakes in New Mexico's mountains, foothills, and deserts covers bodies of water accessible by foot, car, and recreational vehicle. The guide locates each lake, shows its proximity to Albuquerque and a few major cities bordering the state, and acquaints the reader with the area's facilities and privileges. For each lake, a single descriptive page provides the following: a map and written directions to the lake from Albuquerque; the lake's surface area and elevation, camping facilities, fish species, emergency numbers, and other details; a chart of activities and facilities available around and on the lake; and special fees, rules, and regulations. Six appendices detail state and federal regulations for camping, fishing, and boating.

Maybe the book will give some ideas of a few less popular sites at which one could dive.

Good Luck,

Katrina

I went with my buddy to Navajo lake on Sunday. The lake looked nice topside, but was a mess as soon as we descended. The visibility was 2-3 feet, there were old trees, fishing line & rocks on the side of the canyon (I guess we should have risked the powerboats, and kicked further into the middle of the lake). With out seeing anything, we bottomed out around 30', and kicked up a silt clound that reduced the visibility to a foot.

I grabbed my buddy, gave him a thumbs up, and ended the day of diving right then and there.

The other hilarious thing was that evidently all New Mexico state parks require a "surface tender" to be present. I haven't exactly figured out what this person is supposed to do, but I think it's a good clue to head elsewhere for diving.

Hey Todd,

Sorry to hear about Navaho Lake. Do try Perch lake. It was a really great dive. Better visibility than most Colorado lakes or reservoirs.

It is always a bummer when you have to end a dive early.

Come to think of it - we did have someone topside while we were diving at Perch... Hmmm...

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom