Diving in NJ area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steelwindmachine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm thin skinned, am uncomfortably cold in anything less than 70* water bare skinned and opt to dive in the Caribbean.

For those of you who are similar, what exposure protection do you use to dive comfortably in the NJ area and when?

Also, where do you dive and how is the vis?

Most people dive dry, otherwise you will need at least a 7mm full or 5mm two piece wet suit.

Talk to your LDS about a guided "intro to wreck" dive to see if you like it. There are shore dives and inlets but most dives are from boats.

See these sites for local NJ diving

NJ Scuba Divers Message Board also has links to many shops and dive boats

NJ Scuba Divers Message Board

A majority of people who dive regularly in NJ are diving dry. You will see some 7mm wetsuits but that tends to limit your dive season down to June through Sept. There are a few hardcore people who will dive year round wet but I think they are a few sandwiches short of a full picnic :D.

As for location the two most common places are Dutch Springs or off the boats. If you are interested in Dutch and need some guidance check out the Dive NY forum as they have a very active group who are there. If you want to try the boats a great option would through TSCSCUBA . They have a few beginner dives scheduled that include one dive on a shallow wreck for 35.00 and will have people in the water to act as guides and such. I teach for them and crew on a local boat so I would say this is a really inexpensive way to try out NJ boat diving and see if it is for you.

I'll be doing my OW check-out dives at Dutch some time in the next 2 months. I saw current water temps in the high-30s - low-40s...I'll manage, even if I have to go numb in the process just to get the certification completed =\

Well...

I dive wet all year around. I dive a bare sport 7mm and bare sport 7mm hooded vest when the water is below 55. Plain 7mm anything above that for nj. I always wear my 7mm boots. When im wearing my vest I wear my xs scuba dry 5 gloves and if not I wear my regular 5mm gloves.

I dive mostly manasquan re bridge. Manasquan inlet. And shark river. The best Viz I've ever seen is 10ft. Usually its 2-5ft though.

O and btw. Current temp for Manasquan inlet is 40. Also the scuba connection is a great shop. Check them out.

I dive Dutch from late April to Nov in a 7 mm wetsuit. I use a full hood the first couple of months, but go with a beanie later in the season. Once the season at Dutch is in full swing, the majority will be diving wet.

I have season pass so I went down on opening day (Apr 2nd) to just watch and chat. Water temp was in 40's above the 1st thermocline according to those I talked with that day.

I can handle that for a while as long as its sunny to warm up after the dive. I was hoping to dive this Saturday, but the wx looks like rain and clouds.

Who is doing your checkout?

I think you will like Dutch Springs. I was a warm water diver who decided to try it at the urging of friends. I now get a season pass and try to dive at least two days a week once the wx is good enough.

It is a nice place and you can link up with any number of regular groups that are always there for shared grills, picnics and just enjoying the time between dives. Many people camp on site and make it a weekend. Camping is included in the season pass.

Hope to see you there. I am usually available as a dive buddy unless out of town. Just shoot me a PM.

I am like you as I get cold easily, So I dive in a Drysuit year round. I use my Drsyuit where ever I go. If water is 35F or 75/80F. I really like the drysuit it's a little more than just being warmer which you are but I find that I am also more comfortable overall. Before/during and after the dive. I only used a wetsuit during my OW pool work and got cold, But getting in/out of a wetsuit is a pain and doing in a wet wetsuit is even worse. The drysuit for me is easy to do both anytime, I also like coming out of the water dry. The great thing is I dont worry about getting cold I layer to what the water temo is cold=More Warm water =Less.

But as you will see it is very possible to dive in a wetsuit in and around the area. For instance if you go out to do any of the inlet dives in the summer the water is usually about 75F very do able in a wetsuit as a matter fact almsot everyone was in a 3mm (Max depth 15') so shallow dive. Same thing applies if you head out to RoundValley in NJ max depth 25' unless you do a very very long swim or have a boat. The buddies I go with use there 3mm and water temps are about 72-75 during Summer. Again Dutch Springs is about the same Down to 25' However with Dutch you can go deeper but it does get quickly. If you stay within 25' a 3mm will work. If you go bellow 30-60 I would recomend atleast a 5mm suit hood/Glove and again you could be good i know others that do it some even deeper but different people. Me personally if I used a wetsuit would probably be a 7mm if doing anything around 60 or deeper. But like I said I use my drysuit all the time year round where ever I dive.

I'll be doing my OW check-out dives at Dutch some time in the next 2 months. I saw current water temps in the high-30s - low-40s...I'll manage, even if I have to go numb in the process just to get the certification completed =\

In two months most likely the Shop will have you in a 7mm suit with Hood/Glove you should be fine. The water warms quickly and most of your time you be at the platform doing skills. Good Luck dont let the temp's scare you. You never know you might just like it.

Once the weather warms and the sun comes out you'll love the feeling of a little cool water in your wetsuit... Of course, at Dutch, your cheeks will be a little frosty below 40' or so, but that will make surfacing to the 65ish degree water feel almost tropical.

If you are interested, there will be two dry suit demo days at Dutch Springs - Whites on May 14th, DUI on May 21st. A great chance to try diving dry without the cost, certification, etc..

Also, the Sea Gypsies are hosting an "Introduction to Northeast diving" event this year - a day at Dutch and a day out on the John Jack, that you might like to check out...

As for what there is to see... here are some local pix:

Best of Northeast Diving

Best of Dutch Springs

Back
Top Bottom