Diving in Northern Moz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KUFan452

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi! I've reviewed the more recent posts and haven't found the advice I was looking for. We are interested in traveling to SA/Moz in June or July 2012. The plan is the Big 5/Dive trip of at least two weeks. I think we've figured out to do Kruger and some diving in Souther Moz -- maybe Tofo.

The question is whether to try to also dive up north. I haven't seen a lot of recent info about diving up north in the Quirimbas/Pemba area. I understand that it's difficult to get to and expensive. Setting those issues aside, is it worth the trip?

We prefer smaller dive ops without tons of other divers crawling all over us plus, quality, and service. My BF is an instructor and an avid UW photog so our main concerns are viz, corals, and reef life. I understand that the northern reefs are underexplored and supposed to be in pristine condition, but not a lot of pelagics. Am I misinformed? Although not guaranteed, I'm assuming we could get our pelagic fix near Tofo?

Any suggestions/advice that you could provide would be appreciated! Thanks!

I've been to Kruger twice and it's an absolute must for everyone to see at least once. Plan on spending at least three days in the Park. In South Africa we dove Sodwana Bay (sp?) and Umkomas (sp?). Not much to see and the conditions were terrible. We wouldn't go back even if it were free. However, we're seriously considering Tofu next February and are also looking for more information.

Try looking to dive Aliwal Shoals, great for sharks but you need to get the timing right

My husband and I went to the Quirimbas in Nov. 09 for a diving vacation. We loved it and yes, the coral was pristine. We were the only 2 divers all week, so no crowds to deal with and the dive master all to ourselves. We did not see lots of pelagics but we really enjoyed seeing coral that was untouched and beautiful reef life. I've added a link below to a few photos from this trip and I'll be happy to answer any other questions if I can. I think you can just click on the photo.

Last edited:
Texswamper: Thanks for the info! Where did you stay? What dive op did you use? Do you know if the conditions are significantly different in July?

P.S. I can't see the pics because it requires a password. Can you post of few of the best or send me a PM? Thanks!

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to answer back but we were on a Caribbean cruise diving!

So, to your questions, we stayed in two different resorts that are owned by Rani Resorts. We spent some time at Matemo Island and the rest of our time at Medjumbe Resort. Both were great, but the dive sites were closer at Medjumbe with less travel time by boat. They have their own dive masters at the resorts. I'm not sure about the conditions in July but remember that it will be their Winter (not a US winter though! lol!) You can google it and find some good weather info.

Try this link and if it still doesn't work, send me an email address and I'll just email the album.Mozambique island trip 2009 pictures from africa photos on webshots

I've been to Kruger twice and it's an absolute must for everyone to see at least once. Plan on spending at least three days in the Park.
Good advice. PM me if you need info on the Kruger National Park, I'm a local:D

In South Africa we dove Sodwana Bay (sp?) and Umkomas (sp?). Not much to see and the conditions were terrible. We wouldn't go back even if it were free.
This is a pity to hear as both of those localities can produce awesome diving. I wouod consider Sodwana Bay my "local" dive patch (even though it is a 7 hour drive) and I've seen it at its best and at its worst. I can't say that I've dived all over the world but between the Florida Keys, Mediterranean, Similan Islands and Sodwana Bay, I reckon Sodwana Bay beats them all hands down.

Anyway, not trying to start an argument. Just saying that you might just have been unlucky.

Try looking to dive Aliwal Shoals, great for sharks but you need to get the timing right
Aliwal Shoal is great but considering that the OP is looking for pristine coral and good viz, it might not be the best place to go. Then again, July will be slap bang in the famous Sardine Run, a diving spectacle that leaves National Geographic crews in awe. By the way, Aliwal Shoal and Umkomaas are essentially the same place.

July is a good time for seeing sharks but bear in mind that the water temperature will be cooler than any of the Mozambique or Sodwana diving sites, around 18°C (64 F) and that the entries can be quite rough. The launches are done through the surf which can be intimidating at times. It's nothing to be concerned about but it is something to be aware of. Personally, I love it, it adds to the excitement of the diving.

Jeepers, I've talked myself into a serious lust for Aliwal Shoal now. I think when this message is done I'm gonna start planning my next trip there.:D

I'm not sure about the conditions in July but remember that it will be their Winter (not a US winter though! lol!)
Remember, they're only 11 degrees south of the equator so the term "Winter" should be interpreted fairly loosely:wink: To put it in perspective, they're about as much south of the equator as Curacao or Bonaire is north of it.

Although not guaranteed, I'm assuming we could get our pelagic fix near Tofo?
That depends on what your definition of "pelagic fix" is. If you're referring to Whale Sharks and Mantas then yes, Tofo is your spot. You won't have much chance of seeing lots of sharks at Tofo though (other perhaps than White-tip Reef Shark and Black-tip Reef Shark). If it is Ragged-tooth, Zambezi, Tiger etc. you're after, Aliwal Shoal is the place.

Thanks for all the good advice! 64 degrees seems cold to me! Maybe we'll change the dates and book a second trip just for the Sardine run!

Thanks Texswamper, the pic links worked this time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom