Diving in Nusa Tenggara in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miki Brunou

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi folks,

first of all, I just created an account after many years of lurking around in the forum. Thanks for the interesting discussions and advices I've enjoyed so far.

I'm planning a diving trip for next January, preferably to Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia. I'm not that experienced as a diver, but having dived in challenging conditions in Southeast Asia, I feel fairly confident in rougher-than-average current conditions. I've understood that January is not the best time to do diving in Nusa Tenggara. I just sent an inquiry to Alor Dive (Tauchen in Alor) – a respected operator in the Alor region, but didn't receive a reply yet.

My question is, do you think it's worth to travel all the way to Alor or Flores in January, or should I opt for another destination in Indonesia? I would like to steer clear from the worst tourist traps, as I tend to enjoy nature more than busy party atmosphere. I'm travelling with my non-diver wife and a small daughter. My wife would like to do an open water course on this trip, so that's also a point to consider.

All the advices and recommendations are highly appreciated!

-Miki

Usually dive operations in Alor are closed in January, they reopen end of march. Not sure the operation you contacted is the best with non diving partner, it's located downtown in Kalabahi. You should rather look at Alor eco divers or La Petite Kepa.

January in Indonesia, better dive Maluku or Raja Ampat.

Usually dive operations in Alor are closed in January, they reopen end of march. Not sure the operation you contacted is the best with non diving partner, it's located downtown in Kalabahi. You should rather look at Alor eco divers or La Petite Kepa.

January in Indonesia, better dive Maluku or Raja Ampat.
Ok, that's exactly the impression I've had after doing some reading. Do you have any recommendations for a resort/operator in Raja Ampat? Misool Eco Resort seems to be the best place when it comes to lodging and general coziness, but unfortunately their rates are clearly above our budget.

Pls check out the replies on this previous thread where everything has been already said regarding Raja Ampat:
Recommendations in Raja Ampat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom