diving in phuket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had this year great diving at Racha Yai and Racha Noi.Good visibility and depths about 10metars are really great for new divers.I dived with Aussie divers and had great experience on boat and in water with them.

Well, during one of our OW dives, there was a mild current (according to the instructor) but it felt like we were being swept away. I am still unsure how to handle currents during a dive and I feel that it's better to be safe then sorry. I guess we would go for Racha Noi & Racha Yai for now. Doubt we have the time for Phi Phi island as we are only planning on a short trip. Thanks for all the suggestions on the dive shops too. =D I cant wait to go diving again~

If I were you, I would go to Koh Lanta instead of Phuket. You can reach both Phi Phi and Koh Haa dive sites on day trips from there. Koh Haa is very nice and has opportunities for different skill levels. You can fly to Krabi and get a van from there. I also like the sights above water much better on Lanta than on Phuket.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Xavior

Your choice, going to Racha Noi/Racha Yai is very good. The dive sites at Racha Yai are suitable for all levels of scuba divers. At Racha Noi, most are suitable but some are not (south point for beginners is a big no-go) Visibility is normally in the range 10 - 30 meter and currents are from nothing to mild but some days around full moon a bit harder. Last year we spotted whale sharks and manta rays, although they have become more and more rare. You'll find all kinds of tropical fish and corals so get a really good dive guide.

As you are coming the first week of January, you have to book your diving in advance and no later than middle of December. The boats are usually fully booked around New Year and a couple of weeks into January, and without a pre-booking it can be very hard to find a place on any boats. When you do your booking make sure you book Racha Noi & Racha Yai with three dive. There are several day trips offering two dive at Racha Yai only and they are very crowded (not recommended for a relaxing day out)

The prices are slightly different and ranging from 3,500 THB - 4,100 THB. Equipment rental will be 400 THB - 800 THB for a complete set. Boats are leaving the pier around 8.30 - 9.00 and will be back around 17.00. The prices include pick-up from your hotel (some areas have an extra charge), breakfast, lunch, fruit, water, coffee, tea and three dives with a dive guide. I'm based in Phuket so let me know if you need some help and more advises.

Michael

The best diving can be found around Phi Phi, Shark Point, and Anemone reef which offer great diving for open water level. Racha Noi and Racha Yai can also be very nice but as an operator in Thailand I would recommend Phi Phi, Shark Point and Anemone reef more, these locations are easily accesible by a full day boat trip originating from Phuket with 3 dives. You would be picked up around 7 depending on your location depart to the dive loactions around 8-830 and return late evening. There are many companies available, I would recommend to contact my operation but I will be out of Thailand at that time so I would recommend Local Dive Thailand Phuket Diving | PADI | Liveaboards | Local Dive Team Thailand great boat and great crew.
THe operator you mention only offers Shark Point, which in itself is not really suitable to the OP, in combination with King Cruiser, which is a big nono for the OP.

Racha Noi and Racha Yai, 3 dive trip, would be excellent for the OP. Plenty of things to see, excellent visibility and nice and relaxed diving.

I recently returned from a trip to Phuket, followed by Dumaguete in the Philippines. While on Phuket I booked a couple day trips with All4Diving. They run a good operation and have a nice boat for trips to the southern islands. Their day trips are all three tanks and cost about 3800 Baht. They hit different locations around the Phi Phi Islands on Mon/Wed/Fri, do Racha Yai & Racha Noi on Tues & Thurs. Sunday is a trip to the King Cruiser, Anemone Reef and Shark Point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I notice that quite alot of DCs head over to Racha Yai and Racha Noi on thursdays and sundays, are they sharing the same boat?
Any one knows of any DCs that are heading out to those locations on fridays or saturdays? I will reach phuket on a thursday and flying off off on monday. :(

-- edit --

Ok, found a DC with those sites on sat.

There are only few boat companies and lot off scuba operators who share their boats

I notice that quite alot of DCs head over to Racha Yai and Racha Noi on thursdays and sundays, are they sharing the same boat?
Any one knows of any DCs that are heading out to those locations on fridays or saturdays? I will reach phuket on a thursday and flying off off on monday. :(

-- edit --

Ok, found a DC with those sites on sat.
We do e.g. :)

All4Diving operates the Mermaid I. On the days I was out, there were also groups that had booked that boat through Superdivers.

You could book Thursday, Friday and Saturday and get different dive sites each day. If you make it there during low season, you may get a discount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom