Diving in Poor Knights - 1st time diving in cold waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

happi

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'll be diving in NZ-Poor Knights during the month of July. People have told me that water temp would be around 14 degrees.
As it would be my 1st time diving in Cold Waters, anything that I should be careful/aware of? (I've only dived in warm waters (27 degrees) & am still a new diver)

And of cos, do share with me your experiences diving there!

Thanks!
Ros :wink:

27 degrees???? Sheeeeesss thats cold!

Talking of the Knights, I notice that there is an article in this months "Underwater Speleology" about Rikoriko cave, they call it the largest seacave in the world.

I remember the good old days when we did simulated night dives there.

Poor Knights are great, I have a weeknd there in early July. Not much current, heaps of schooling fish of all sizes, sting rays eagle rays and a few sharks.

I will leave it more to the experts to advise on cold water diving but obviously heavier wet suit 7mm, hood and gloves and weighting are the main difference with the need to add air to BCD at depth to compensate for compression of wetsuit. The conditions are pretty easy at poor Knights so a good place to learn cool water diving and the main operator (Dive Tutakaka) has an excellent reputation and their hire gear will be sound. I really like Ocean Blue at www.oceanblue.co.nz for liveaboard, especially if you have an interest in photography. Have a good time.

Alison

Cold is relative, no worries.

If you go with Dive Tutukaka, there's no problem. I did 4 dives with them in january 2004 when the water was a blistering 18 degrees... Never felt cold, didn't even use gloves.

You'll love the Poor Knights.

El Orans:
Cold is relative, no worries.

If you go with Dive Tutukaka, there's no problem. I did 4 dives with them in january 2004 when the water was a blistering 18 degrees... Never felt cold, didn't even use gloves.

You'll love the Poor Knights.

just dont make my mistake of getting in water first to acclimatise, sheeesh it was cold

I'll second (0r third or whatever) the prior comments re Dive Tutukaka and wetsuit thickness. I was there in Oct 2003, and wore a 7mm farmer john, with vest, hood, gloves; for a warm water diver as I am, the water was "refreshing" on that first leap in, but I adjusted quickly and was fine. But I did get very chilly during the SI.

The second dive was about the same, but I elected to surface after 45 minutes due to being chilled.

I seem to recall that some of the DMs wore drysuits.

Have a great trip.

happi:
Hi there!

I'll be diving in NZ-Poor Knights during the month of July. People have told me that water temp would be around 14 degrees.
As it would be my 1st time diving in Cold Waters, anything that I should be careful/aware of? (I've only dived in warm waters (27 degrees) & am still a new diver)

And of cos, do share with me your experiences diving there!

Thanks!
Ros :wink:

Watch your bouyancy - you're going to be wearing extra gear and you might pop up in the last fifteen feet if you're not careful. Also, the general rule of thumb for 7 mil suits is ten percent of your bodyweight plus ten pounds, so add on the lead. Finally, keep an eye on your air. You'll go though it quicker in the colder waters.

coreypenrose:
Watch your bouyancy - you're going to be wearing extra gear and you might pop up in the last fifteen feet if you're not careful. Also, the general rule of thumb for 7 mil suits is ten percent of your bodyweight plus ten pounds, so add on the lead. Finally, keep an eye on your air. You'll go though it quicker in the colder waters.

In July, the water will be between 14 - 16 degrees. It will be warmer than the surrounding waters due to a warm flow that encompasses the island chain. You will need a hood and boots and gloves. Dive Tutukaka have a full range of hire gear that you can try out when you go for your trip. I normally dive a 5mm, but I probably have more body fat then you do.
It's really what you are used to.
As to RikoRiko cave, you will go into it with the boat and I have dived it. Great light show as the sun shines into the cave.
It bottoms out at about 14 metres.
As the others have said, buoyancy will be an issue. Also the constricted feeling you get with full gear and the extra weight you have to carry. Take it slow when you gear up and when you are on the surface, adjust everything so you are comfortable and don't be rushed in descending by your buddy when you go down. Once you descend you can adjust and tighten up again when you get below 10m.
Because you will be wearing gloves, place all your gear, such as torch etc ( lots of great caves, nooks and crannies so hire a good torch) at the front of your BCD so you can feel for it easier. When you try on your hood and mask, set it before you go down, in fact, try it out and adjust it at the dive shop first. Not too tight because it's a bugger to change things in the water with gloves on.
Normally there is wave surge to cope with. It's not dangerous, but at the 5m stop, aim for 7-8m for safety. Stick to the walls to help keep your depth.
Don't use any seasickness tablets as they can bring on nausea. Make a lunch because the boats only supply tea, coffee, cup-a-soup and you will get very hungry, partly because of the cold. You'll be out for 6-8 hours.
make sure you bring some warm clothes and a couple of large towels. A warm hat will be a must and a good jacket.
As to the marine life?.....Wow!!!!! You'll think that you have fish coming out of your pants. Tons of pelagic life. Bring a camera. Even buy an underwater disposable if you have to.
There are feeder stations, untold colours of morays, heaps of rays and lots of nudibranchs. There may be a little murk from plankton, but I have never had a dive with viz lower than 12 metres there and I have done over 80 dives there. Even in rough weather, there are plenty of sheltered places to dive.
You'll have a great time. If you have any questions, than give me an email and I will answer them for you.

Cheers Big Ears

What are summer water temps at Poor Knights in Farenheit?

Do I need a constricting 7mm or would 5mm do?

I was there very late December last year and my log says temps varied between 16.2 Celcius and 21 Celcius but I think it gets a little warmer than this later in the summer. Sorry I don't do the conversions but I am sure you can find the factor somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom