diving in south africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

westy

Registered
Reaction score
being really lazy here, but off to SA soon and was wondering what the diving was like. going all over so any places you know about let me know. some times it's good to lazy

Oh I;m going to Cape Town in September! Does anyone know what the standard of kit hire is like over therE? I'd have to hire some as I;m going on a fieldtrip with university, so wont have room for my kit... Though we are going a week early to justify the price of the plane ticket (over £600!!) for a bit of a holidat first!! I would LOVE to dive there, but I'm worried about dodgy kit... Are there any reputable companies that anyone knows of? English-speaking? I guess I'd have to buddy up with someone over there...

Ok, firstly you could say diving in & around Cape Town could be split into 2 halves. The Atlantic Side & False Bay side.

1 - The Atlantic Side - Its the colder of the two. There are quite a few kelp forests & wrecks to explore here. Most of the diving is shallow, with a lot of the sites being shore entries. There are some deeper sites off shore that are accessed with RIBS

2 - The False Bay side - Here diving is generally warmer and most of the diving being done from Simonstown on down towards Cape point. There are a lot of pleasant shore entry dives available as well as some nice deeper dives which are done off RIBS. If you get the chance try do the wrecks of Smitswinkel Bay.

I know during the winter the weather in the Cape isn't so great with a lot of wind and rain but luckily thats when the best diving is.

As for rental gear & charters I can't say much as I have always used my own gear and only used a charter once whilst diving down there.

You're best bet is to book a dive through a charter and they'll supply u with gear and take you out to a cool dive site.I have found a few websites of charters in the Cape Area for you, maybe e-mail the people and get info on the rental gear.
www.diveaction.co.za , & www.devillescuba.co.za or look at http://www.ananzi.co.za/catalog/Sport/WaterSports/ScubaDiving/index.html for some charters in the cape.

By the way I doubt there are any dive charters in South Africa that don't speak English so u don't have to worry about that.

where else you going in South Africa as there are tons of other places to go diving?

Thanks, I will check out those sites. I am only going to Cape Town myself; not sure about westy.

cheers stallion, don't know where yet in SA as on big road trip from UK to SA . That's why asking for advice as if i stay in SA working for a while i want to be near some cool diving spots propably up the east coast after cape town

Well there is a lot diving to be done all along the east coast of south africa as the water is warmer & there are a lot of beautiful reefs to be seen. There are three major diving locations along the coast: Sodwana Bay, Aliwal Shoal & Protea Banks.

Sodwana Bay is very high up on the east coast of south africa but has some absolutely beautiful coral reefs that you should definately try dive. It is a bit out of the way and there are no real towns around it to speak of but there is a huge dive industry based there. If I were roadtripping this would be the perfect place to just to lurk. Cause its situated in a wetland reserve there are tons of things to do and see (eg... Game Viewing).

Aliwal Shoal is a reef 5km offshore. Launching is mostly done from a town called Umkomaas (About 30kms south of Durban). Not a corally as sodwana but its claim to fame are the Ragged Tooth sharks that gather here after the Sardine run (+- May - September) . There are also two nice wrecks located close to the shoal.

Protea Banks is famous for its sharks - Tigers, Coppers, Zambezi's... Launching is done from a town called Margate (about 110 kms from durban). The dives are all generally deep, 33m+, with a strong current. I should be hopefully heading there in june to catch the surdines running through.

Hopefully this gives you a general idea of what you can look forward to

Apparently the best months are april to september but Sodwana is definately diveable all year round.

Back
Top Bottom