diving in south africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi..

I have a dive shop in Jhb..(nowhere near Cape Town) but if you want a list of operators I will give you reputable ones ..who are PADi accredited and whose gear will be of a good standard.

Welcome to South Africa and enjoy the diving! it's awesome out here! A good dive to do is the Two Oceans Aquarium Kelp forest and Predator tank.(at cape town waterfront)

Cheers
Simon

wandernsoul:
Hey Stallion,

What's the best time of year to dive Sodwana Bay? I"m contemplating a trip over New Years and I could definitely add this to the list of possibilities.

Diving is great in Sodwana year round...December sees lots of game fish, shark action, whale sharks etc

Plenty to see there...if you going to Sodwana take a short hop (1 hr drive) to SOuthern Mozambique.

Simon

Hi Guys if you are looking for information on Diving in South Africa and possible tour itineraries, check out our site at http://www.scubaaddicts.com

See you soon in Southern Africa

Regards
Craig

Amy Capello:
Oh I;m going to Cape Town in September! .... I would LOVE to dive there, but I'm worried about dodgy kit... Are there any reputable companies that anyone knows of? English-speaking? I guess I'd have to buddy up with someone over there...

Amy, you really make us South African's feel like a third world country!! :wink: As a resident of Cape Town and having dived pretty much all there is around here, I can point you to the right places and people if you so wish. Or even buddy up...

As part of a university group, will you be having anything to do with UCT? If so they have an active underwater club which can cater for visitors. Otherwise we have severeal very active clubs and loads of good commercial operations.

As you've probably read, diving here is a bit chilly. Funnily enough, winter diving is warmer than summer when water temps get down to as low as 6 degrees C. Usually its in the region of 10 to 18 degrees depending on where and when. The vast majority of divers here use wetsuits still, 5mm is the norm. You shouldn't have much trouble with dodgy kit, but I use my own so not entirely sure.

Boat dives generally cost around between R90 and R120 (about 10 quid).

I'd recommend Pisces Divers (www.piscesdivers.co.za) and Dive Action (www.diveaction.co.za).

Anything else you can e-mail me if you want.

Cheers
Simon

PS, wish me luck, I'm going to do some shark diving tomorrow....

Hey Simon, jusy wanted to say, thanks for the info, hope I haven't caused any offence!!
Good luck with the shark diving! I am sooo jealous!
Would it be ok if you PM'd me with your email address?
Really sorry that I don't have time to reply properly now, just took a sleeping tablet (been having real trouble sleeping recently and am EXHAUSTED) which emans I've gotta be in bed within 30 minutes!!!

Hi Amy

I also live in Cape Town and can assure you that the equipment on hire here is usually quite good .To hire a set of gear will probably cost around 15 pounds (how the hell do you get the "pound" symbol ?)for a day, but I can confirm that for you before you leave .

For a little more info on diving in Cape Town check out my dive clubs site www.fbuc.org.za .(False Bay Underwater Club)

Ditto Simon's and others comments re dive operators and dive sites .Please mail me for any other info you may need .

Safe Diving

Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom