diving in south africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyT:
Hi Amy

I also live in Cape Town and can assure you that the equipment on hire here is usually quite good .To hire a set of gear will probably cost around 15 pounds (how the hell do you get the "pound" symbol ?)for a day, but I can confirm that for you before you leave .

For a little more info on diving in Cape Town check out my dive clubs site www.fbuc.org.za .(False Bay Underwater Club)

Ditto Simon's and others comments re dive operators and dive sites .Please mail me for any other info you may need .

Safe Diving

Andrew

Thanks! Could you please PM me with your email address? Will check out your website too.
£ sign is above the number 3 on ym keyboard!

And thanks to Simon too, have just sent you an email!! :wink:

Hi again!

OK, we've booked a dive (well, in the process of) with White Shark Eco Ventures, to go cage diving with sharks while we're in SA.
We're also arranging to do some diving in the Two Oceans Aquarium, which is something a bit different that we don't get to do at home!

We'll be out there in mid-September (9th-15th, then 16th-23rd on a Uni field trip - no diving that week though). Would a 5mm wetsuit be adequate for the dives?

Thanks for the help! If you ever want to go diving in Plymouth, Devon, let me know!

Amy.

Amy Capello:
Hi again!

OK, we've booked a dive (well, in the process of) with White Shark Eco Ventures, to go cage diving with sharks while we're in SA.
We're also arranging to do some diving in the Two Oceans Aquarium, which is something a bit different that we don't get to do at home!

We'll be out there in mid-September (9th-15th, then 16th-23rd on a Uni field trip - no diving that week though). Would a 5mm wetsuit be adequate for the dives?

Thanks for the help! If you ever want to go diving in Plymouth, Devon, let me know!

Amy.

Amy

Sorry I haven't responded as I haven't been around. The shark dive should be great. While you're hitting it at the end of "high" season, it should still be OK. Make sure you have a couple of underwater disposable cameras if you don't own a proper one. The two oceans aquarium dive is quite fun - just a bit odd swimming around in a bloody great fishtank. There are two tanks - a kelp forest one and an open ocean one with a couple of ragged-tooth sharks. The kelp forest is the more interesting one tho'.

A 5mm wetsuit should be fine for OW dives but that depends on your own tolerance to cold! Anyway, as I said, most people are still using 5mm suits here.

As far as Plymouth is concerned you'd have to stand in line! A good friend of mine is a biologist at Plymouth Marine Lab, and he's offered his services as a guide...

Simon

Bah, I am a marine biology students at Plymouth Uni, I know the good dives AND where you can do them cheap :wink:
For example, I'm the Seasearch coordinator for the Marine Conservation Society Plymouth Local Group, and I'm organising dives at £12 each, whilst all the other local dive charters are at least £17.50...
Unless you dive with the uni ofc. Then dives start form £1!! (So I am told, I am yet to take them up on it as it requires getting a medical for BSAC, and I am quite happy with my PADI diving which doesn't require the extra expense of a medical!). :)

If you guys are going by Capetown, all my family is down there and they dive a lot. PM me, could save you some dollars............

Back
Top Bottom