Diving in south Thailand expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

May I ask what are the best dive sites in Thailand?

I have been informed that the Surin & Similan Islands are the best.
Can anyone verify this?

If so, who do you recommend?

Thanks, Finbob

Yeah the similans are widely considered the best. Hin Daeng and Hin Muang are awesome dive sites on the west coast, outside the similans. On the east coast islands you have Chumpon Pinnacle, South West Pinnacle, and of course Sail Rock which are all great dive sites.

If you are diving on Koh Tao look into New Way Diving. They are the first boat to leave in the morning and they go to Chumpon Pinnacle or South West pinnacle every morning (they usually alternate between those two sites). Having Chumpon or Southwest all to yourself and watching the sunrise over the island on your way out is well worth waking up early in the morning. Plus they got a great group of instructors and DMs.

Thanks, seeing the accomodation prices in the Thai islands (Ko Samui etc.) I now appreciate now ridiculously cheap other places like Cozumel are and how much value they provide. I think the Thai islands have become more expensive now because of all the rich old tourists coming down from Europe prepared to pay pretty much anything to sit and lounge on their beach chairs while Europe is freezing.

Ever considered the high exchange rate the Thai Baht has currently?
Samui still has budget accommodation but you need to look hard for it and accommodation in general is relatively cheap in Thailand.

Thanks, seeing the accomodation prices in the Thai islands (Ko Samui etc.) I now appreciate now ridiculously cheap other places like Cozumel are and how much value they provide. I think the Thai islands have become more expensive now because of all the rich old tourists coming down from Europe prepared to pay pretty much anything to sit and lounge on their beach chairs while Europe is freezing.
Strange, since there are less Europeans coming than there used to be.

The price discussion is interesting. We don't have a speedboat, but I have worked for other companies who do organize speedboat trips to the Similans.

Guests want to get there fast so that they have time to do two dives and have lunch, while still returning to their hotel in time for cocktail hour. Guests also don't want to be cramped together with 30 other divers. Similans are approx 55 km west of Khao Lak. Speedboats have 2-4 min 200 HP engines, generally 4-stroke. One liter of petrol/gasoline is approx. 40 Baht (I know more about diesel prices these days). The boats take a lot of maintenance, since it's pretty tough on a boat to go more than 100 km per day at full speed. The Similans are only open 1st November through 30th April, so the boats only operates 6 months every year. National marine park fees are 600 per diver per day.

Do the math and you'll find that running a boat here is NOT a license to make money - quite the contrary: the price is well justified. Many companies struggle financially, especially now that less Europeans visit us.

If you want to visit Thailand, the flight is generally more expensive than going to your neighbor country. The same goes for diving: if you want to dive more remote locations, you'll pay more than if you do shore diving. Simple.

Happy diving
Karin

??? A day trip from Phuket costs 3500 to 4000 for 3 dives including a dive guide, breakfast, a good Thai food lunch and often a snack on the way back. You also get a free transfer from your hotel to the boat. You can do this significantly cheaper in the UK?

Yes, and have done frequently!!!!!

Agreed there are differences in the way things are organised and run between the UK and Thailand (indeed most resort diving I have done around the world). But there is some excellent value diving to be had in the UK and can honestly say in 25 years diving regularly in UK waters have never paid anything near to 4000bt (£85) for a days diving, usually significantly less than half that.

Last edited:
Another vote for New Way here!
Most of the dive operators on KT are good for teaching new divers, but many of them (not all) seem less interested in catering to experienced divers.
Everyone at New Way, from the owner to the Divemasters (especially Blue) were great and I will be diving with them again later this month.
I have also had good experiences with Big Blue.

BTW, I have been visiting KT since '02.

Thomjinx

Great, lots of recommendations for New Way...I'm headed to Koh Tao tomorrow so i'll hit up New Way! Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom