Diving in St. Maarten - any recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sgl2575

Reaction score
I will be in St. Maarten for a day next month on a cruise ship. Any recommendations for a dive outfit there? Unfortunately I won't have time to run to Saba.

... is who I used when I was in St. Maarten in January. They picked me up at the cruiseship pier and gave me a ride to the shop. We made two dives from an open boat that they have and then I got a free ride on the water taxi back to the cruiseship terminal. Dive Safari is the vendor that the Celebrity Cruise uses, but is not a cattle boat. The reefs there are in good shape, there are plenty of fish and live coral. I was happy with the dive operator and feel that I was treated very well.

Any specific questions, drop me a line.

fun scuba caribe is the best outfit on the island.

they have a shop on the french side that is much better than the one on he dutch side, but as your ship will probably be at philipsburg, the dutch one will be more conveinient.

i have tried all of them and fun is the best. beware that the best in St. Martin is still not up to US or Canadian standards.

I was to board a WINDJAMMER cruise there a year and a half ago, so I thought about going in a day early to dive there. Shopped possibilities, made a paid reservation with this operator, flew in a day early, paid the extra night in a hotel, took a taxi to the operators, and they greeted me with :upset: "Mr.Henderson, we tried to call you yesterday to let you know we didn't have enough booked to go out." :boom: No, I think I was polite, but went through the above with them, and suggested that if if they take my money, they owe me a ride! :deal:

We compromised: They took me out with an OW class, gave me my own DM for the easier, sand bottom dive, then I followed an instructor and students on a surging reef dive. Worked out okay.

Since you'll be on the Big Boat - if this is the operator the boat uses, you'll have no problems. If not, you'll probably be better off to go with the operator the boat arranges.

HOWEVER, you might consider the :beret: French side operator. I'd suggest a French side lunch and afternoon after the dives anyway, so - you might justify booking the dive there, then making a day of it over there. The operator might be willing to watch your gear for the rest of the day? It'd help if you had a number of friends willing to share to cab over early that morning, for the entire day.

If you get to St.Barths, there's an okay operator there who books with ships. Now if you get to St.Kitts & Neivis Austin is a really great operator, and you'll see sites there you'll not see elsewhere. Ever sit in a hot spring :fire: 100 feet down on a reef?!

Happy bubbles, D-Don

check out fun scaba's web site
send Antoine an e-mail
they will probably come and pick you up
their french side shop is at the meridian and you could spend some of the day there. nice beach good eats

OR try octoplus in Grand Case. nice towm many very good eats.

have breakfast or lunch at Michaels

Definately Dive Safari
Very well run outfit. The diving is not all that great but better than just sittin' on the beach. You should try to make it to Saba on your next trip. Outstanding wall diving on a volcano!

I personally use Dive Adventures. Some of my friends used to use Dive Safaris, but they say they've found DA to more friendly with them. DA also gave me a helluva deal on my cert course.

DA runs night dives every Thursday, afternoons Fridays, and usually a double-tank dive on Saturdays.

I live here in Sint Maarten year-round, so if you need any help, feel free to drop m a line @ 911taxi*removethis*@bigfoot.com and I'll see if I can help you out.

Oh, and with DA, ask for Vinnie. He's quite a cool guy, transplanted from Brooklyn, NY to Sint Maarten. Peg Leg Pub is a great place to chow down after a dive, too, we usually head in there for a great burger and a beer!

Good luck!

I am headed that way this weekend and after reading this thread it looks like I am set for dive shops. No doubt I will have to stop by the peg leg pub... with a name like that it must be good. Any other ideas for pubs, food or activities while I am there?

Hi

My wife and I on the carib explorer II in November for a week and then spend a week on St Maartens. Thanks for the headsup on dive operations.

Happy and Safe Diving

Ron

Back
Top Bottom