Diving in Sydney area, Mid/Late March - Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coop42

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, the title just about says it all. I'll be in the Sydney area mid March and am looking to get some diving in. I'll be bringing some of my own kit (but no tanks).

I was hoping my schedule would allow me to do some diving on the GBR, but unless there's a cheap and easy way to get from the reef down to the Sydney area I'll have to restrict my diving to the Sydney area.

Any suggestions for dive operators and/or things to see? Weedies I presume....

We have dealt with Frog Dive - Scuba Diving Sydney - The Scuba Experts for years but there are a number of other good operators in Sydney.

We have brilliant shore diving and many of the shops will arrange dive days where they will put a DM in the water. If you don't have a buddy often there are other divers they can buddy you up with.

Best spot for Weedy sightings is Kurnel.

Here is a good site to get information about the various dive sites in Sydney. Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site you will find he posts here as @clownfishsydney

I am on a medically forced dive break so this is the best I can do for you.

Strongly suggest you consider a trip up from Sydney to south west rocks dive centre. Grey nurse sharks, rays, turtles you name it. Fantastic spot. I think it’s about a 5-6 hr drive from Sydney. They have accom as well.

Yes it is a lovely cave dive if you are game for the cave. If not the shark gutters, resident anenomie fish and sea turtles are lovely. The wall dive can get a bit pushy but they also have heaps of Wobbies and some kewl Urchins that look like they have electric blue rays shining out of the tops if you see them at the right angle. If you can get someone to take you to Black rock that is a brilliant dive and a much shallower one as is Green Island.

Few years ago we had whales tail slapping not far from the boat during surface interval and they followed us part way.

Looking Glass cave and Cabbage Tree Island offer great dives with sharks at Port Stephens it is a bit closer to Sydney There is a grey nurse aggregation site at Magic Point in Sydney.

Don't miss Shelly Beach in Sydney for a nice easy check out dive.. shallow with heaps of wobbies and lots to see. There is a resident weedy but his location isn't commonly known.

Thanks to you both, I appreciate the tips. I'll be following up on these over the next couple of days.

@bowlofpetunias, I'm sorry to hear about the medically required dive break. I hope it gets sorted soon, and you can get back into the water. Also, I presume your handle is a Douglas Adams (I hope) reference?

yep and my hubby is thanksforallthefish on SB.. he got the best username lol

Unfortunately I have had a succession of medical issues .. long recovery time but I don't flail about with my arms so once the two rotator cuff repairs heal I should be back in the water. No everyone can appreciate how serious an issue dried out gills can be for some of us tragics!
:bop:

We have amazing shore dives all over Sydney.

Key Sites:
Bare Island - 3 or 4 different dives here
Kurnell - The Steps & The Leap
Cabbage Tree Bay / Shelly Beach / Fairy Bower

Chowder Bay / Clifton Gardens
Parsley Bay
(These last two mostly dived at night)

Things you'll see around Sydney - plenty of fish, Eastern Blue Groper, Wobbegong, Port Jackson Sharks, Sting Rays (plus a few others), weedies (esp Kurnell), nudibranch, Cabbage Tree Bay gets some Dusky Whalers (I've seen one report saying they there again).

Operators:
North of the harbour: Frog Dive, Manly Dive Centre, Pro Dive Manly

South of the harbour: Adreno, Sydney Dive Safari, Abyss, Pro Dive Coogee

Most do $0-$20 DM led social dives.
Some do local boat dives

If you want to do a day trip then you can go south to Bass Point which has some great sites, or north to Terrigal (where you can also dive the HMAS Adelaide)

As someone else said if you have a few days then head north - Port Stephens / Nelson Bay, Seal Rocks, Forster & South West Rocks all have great boat dives and good operators. Grey Nurse sharks tend to be the focus of most trips up here.

Back
Top Bottom