Diving in the Arctic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cr.padlo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What regulators do people use for the Arctic? I have Zeagle ZX/DS-V primaries on both of my regulator sets, and a Zeagle F8 octo on one, and an Oceanic Alpha 9 on the other. Im starting to consider trips to the polar regions and wanted to know if anyone has used these regulators in cold water. if you haven't, what regulators have you used/recommended?
And what dive ops would you recommend for the poles?

IF you are very well versed in ice diving, then ice diving is ice diving and if those regs work for you, then no reason not to use them.

That said, in the US Navy Arctic testing, the only regulator that passed with no freeflows was the Poseidon MK3 * I believe both the Jetstream and Xstream will pass*, with the Mares Proton Ice being shortly behind with very infrequent freeflows.

I would also throw the Argonaut Kraken in the mix as double hose regulators are fully sealed so won't build ice as there is no moisture being introduced into the second stage chamber from exhaled gas.

My money would go to Poseidon or the Argonaut with it being personal preference for single hose vs. double hose. I own both, and which one I took or used would largely depend on if I was using a FFM or not as I have a Poseidon Atmosphere FFM

IF you are very well versed in ice diving, then ice diving is ice diving and if those regs work for you, then no reason not to use them.

That said, in the US Navy Arctic testing, the only regulator that passed with no freeflows was the Poseidon MK3 * I believe both the Jetstream and Xstream will pass*, with the Mares Proton Ice being shortly behind with very infrequent freeflows.

I would also throw the Argonaut Kraken in the mix as double hose regulators are fully sealed so won't build ice as there is no moisture being introduced into the second stage chamber from exhaled gas.

My money would go to Poseidon or the Argonaut with it being personal preference for single hose vs. double hose. I own both, and which one I took or used would largely depend on if I was using a FFM or not as I have a Poseidon Atmosphere FFM

The US Antarctic Diving Program mandates the use of issued Sherwood Maximus SRB 7600 first and second stage.

Source: https://www.usap.gov/scienceSupport/documents/Antarctic_Dive_Guide.pdf

I have used Zeagle DSVs a fair bit in sea water down to -1.5 C. Have dived in the Antarctic and off Newfoundland in these conditions. Have done a little bit in freshwater as well, but nothing in really really cold air temperatures. They seem to work OK. The first stages are perfect for this, I think. There may be more reliable second stages. Have used Apeks first and second stages as well in these conditions and they also seem to be OK. Technique is also important.

which is weird because NEDU has pictures of them frozen solid for the military testing. I'm wondering if the Sherwood mandate is because they're made in the US.

I don’t think that’s it, the mandatory computer is made in Italy (Mares Nemo Wide). I’d just guess different test protocols/conditions.

I attended a public lecture by a guy who used to run the dive ops down there @ Scripps. He said they retest pretty frequently and those are the only ones that pass their testing protocols. I’m actually more surprised the DoD would use non US gear, I can’t recall ever being issued or using any non US made items when I was in.

I researched the same issue some time ago and spoke to people who dive in Arctic and extremely cold waters. A few regulators were mentioned more than others.

1. Apeks: Apeks series has a lot of following in European cold waters and Arctic divers. It is also used by a lot of European navy divers who dive in Arctic and near Arctic conditions. I personally owned one and it free flowed on surface during my ice diving course. I like to believe that my experience with Apeks was unique and due to my own personal neglect than the regulator but I could be wrong.

2. Mares Proton Ice: This was tested by the navy for those exact conditions and was selected. Yet when military selects a product, a lot of factors go into it other than its function during primary use. They are buying for a larger group and I know a military diver who used one in near Arctic conditions. He said that while he will not hesitate to use Mares Proton Ice in Arctic conditions, it is not the only choice out there for the individual diver.

3. Poseidon: It has a reputation as a solid cold water performer but does not seem to have as big a global following in cold water community as one would like to believe.

4. Legend Glacia: Aqua lung is a major regulator brand and when they build a cold water regulator to perform in frozen caves then it is worthy of our attention. I would really like to hear from actual users how cold have you taken your Glacia and how was its performance compared to others you have dived in similar situation.

Thanks for starting this thread. Cold water regs is a subject I fully intend to follow ...

I have used Apeks in the Arctic and in Newfoundland and Labrador with no issues.

Any of you thought about using a modern double hose regulator? Here's a short video of the Argonaut Kraken:

Also, you might want to see the article on diving regulators in the Antarctic. (I'll ad the link a bit later).

SeaRat

In the limited ice diving I’ve done I have had zero issues with my HOG D1s and Classic second stages. On the St Lawrence last February the three other divers all had free flows with Apeks and Scubapro gear, I did not. This was in 35 degree F water and 29 degree F air temps. I can not speak to anything but my experience. I would tend to think that FFM makes a lot of sense though.

I’m actually more surprised the DoD would use non US gear, I can’t recall ever being issued or using any non US made items when I was in.

For issue to the general military population you are correct. In specific populations the best equipment available is selected even if it’s non US made. Weapons are a perfect example. I carried an FN M4. I stuck with an M4 due to commonality of mags, ammo and parts. I could resupply from any US unit or FOB. The FN was absolutely dependable, far superior to Colt. So it’s no surprise NEDU is sourcing the best equipment available anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom