diving in the Key West area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gjenks

Registered
Reaction score
I am used to diving in Pumaal and Playa Del Carmon, MX. I was wondering if anyone could help with information about the diving around Key West in March of next year. Just got back from Mexico and the diving was fantastic..Gary

Diving in the Keys is usually shallow (30' and under) on the reefs. The reefs in the Key West area aren't particularly outstanding, with the possible exception of Looe Key which is about 20 miles up Hwy 1 out from Bine Pine Key. There are some smaller wrecks in a little deeper water (around 60'), the Cayman Salvager and Joe's Tug near Key West and the Busch in deep water (90'+) several miles to the north of Key West.

Visibility is a big variable in the spring due to weather fronts and can be 100' down to 20'. Water temps should be in the mid seventies and as a big bonus, you can catch the tail end (pun) of lobster season in March. Bug hunting always makes the diving better.

All in all, Key West is a really awesome combination of party atmosphere with good to really good diving

If your'e gonna dive deep, do the 10 fathom bar. starts at 6 and ends at 120 ft. Lots of coral and stuff you wouldnt see in the shallow reefs

If diving not parting is your objective you may be wise to consider Key Largo instead and do a day or evening trip to Key West. I think the reefs are MUCH better in Key Largo and you always have the Speigel Grove.

Went to the Keys back in June - dove a week in Key Largo, which was most excellent. Fabulous reefs, great wrecks - then went down to SugarLoaf Key for a few days of RnR. Dove Looe Key off of Big Pine (dont remember the name of the shop) and spent some time in Key West. I have dove in Key West before when I went with non diving friends. Its OK but isnt as good as Looe Key which isnt as good as Key Largo... Get the point??? :)

I dive alot in Florida and have taken some photos down
in the Keys and along the coast. If you get the chance try
the Biscayne National Park. On Sunday they do the Wall
dive which is a great dive, anyways I have photos on my
web-site from all over the Keys
http://divertom.net/

In October my brother and I did 9 dives in 4 days in Key West. Subtropic Dive Center was great. Great staff and equipment, and best yet, the dive boats are right outside the shop.
Check out Eastern Dry Rocks ( ledges) and Rock Key (small canyons) for dive sites. Depth < 30 ft.. Vis is variable. 1 day is plenty for Key West, then move up the keys.Have fun

:D Thank You All for your reply's. This has been most helpful, thank you again, Gary

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom