Diving in upstate NY/VT/MA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I live near Albany... most of the local dive spots I know of are getting uninteresting. The Hudson at the Sacandaga is a great place, Hearthstone and Fort Anne Beach at Lake George are ok... Cape Ann is about three hours away. Anything in eastern MA, southwestern VT, the Adirondacks...?

Does anyone else know of any other places to dive around here? The LDS isn't too helpful.

The people I dive with don't like to get wet nearly as often as I do, either.. anyone looking for a buddy in the area?

Depends on how far into the Adirondacks you want to go. In the Old Forge - Inlet - Racquette Lake area are a host of lakes you can pretty much jump in.

Below are links and sites that probably will have more info than you will need.

http://dmoz.org/Recreation/Outdoors/Scuba_Diving/Regional/North_America/United_States/New_York/

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Rapids/6929/

http://directory.google.com/Top/Rec...egional/North_America/United_States/New_York/

The other option you may want to explore is the St. Lawrence River for wrecks and drift diving (see posts in the Ontario Fresh Waters Freaks Forum). Niagara Falls also has diving in the river, (well above the falls) and the lake as well.

Happy hunting...err....diving.

Visit the NDI Forum for New England Lobstah Divahs, you are bound to find people and info

If you can get south to NorthEast PA, there is a divers playground there in a freshwater lake. We're going this weekend for the first time, so I'll let you know how it is. About 1 1/2 hours West of NYC.

There's an old ARMY heli, a schoolbus, a couple boat wrecks, a plane, and other toys down there.

Check out the site Here

If you are travelling west on I-90 come up to the Niagara River and try a nice Drift Dive. I went last weekend with a group from Rochester and had a great time. We dove from the Canadian side just a couple of miles from the Peace Bridge between Buffalo and Ft Erie. It's about 15 miles up river from the Falls.

Dives were about 40 minutes in 20 - 25ft with about 25ft vis which they tell me is lower than normal. Most of us made 2 or 3 dives.

I am diving with NAS out of Syracuse this weekend in Skaneateles lake. This is supposedly one of the clearest lakes in NY. Send me a PM if you're interested in more info.

Clean and cold.

Was 53 degrees below 30 ft not too long ago. Colder as you went deeper - below 100.

Go to Lake Champlain. There are several wrecks that are part of an underwater preserve.

Also, the St. Lawrence seaway isn't that far...it has hundreds of wrecks and 60+ft visibility. Cold, though.

Cape Ann has dozens of shore dive locations, 20 or so of which are mapped and very popular.

I've heard there is good diving in Lake George, though I've never gone.

Skaneateles Lake in Skaneateles, NY boasts the cleanest fresh water in the country. The water is cold, but blue...there are a few wall dives...lots of fish. Good fun, overall.

...then I would recommend checking out Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire.

It's 72 square miles of glacial lake with 244 islands. Deepest part of the lake is ~213 feet, but you'll never go there. There are a number of interesting wrecks in the lake, as well as other great dives. Earlier this summer, I dove an interesting wall in the lake, and just last week went on two dives -- one to an area that had lots of old stuff -- antique bottles, etc. One guy on the boat found a REALLY old volt meter -- in great condition. Our second dive was the "Lady of the Lake" wreck. She was a 125' paddle-wheel steamboat, used to ferry stuff & people around the lake before being scuttled in the early 1890s. As was custom, they stripped the ship and prepared to tow it out to the deepest part of the lake to sink. The plan didn't work, and it sunk in a small cove -- and rests in 30' on a sandy bottom. It remains intact, and there are some impressive oak beams -- the likes of which you couldn't possibly find in America today. Lots of fish. Good viz. Idiot boaters ignoring dive flags.

I've been going to this lake for my entire life, and just now am getting into diving it -- it's a dream come true after 35+ years of snorkeling.

LDSs --

Dive Winnipesaukee (Wolfeboro, eastern side of the lake)

Fathom Divers (western side) www.fathomdivers.com

DiveWinn has a boat docked (conveniently) right out behind the shop. Rentals, etc. Fri-Sat-Sun charters. Fathom works with a local boat and is located on the side of the lake with more wrecks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom