Diving in Vietnam - Phan Thiet & Ca Na

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Khon_Nan:
Hmmmm hey guys, I'm sure Vietnam has a lot of Great diving sites! they just need to be discovered i guess!

I hope you're right but I hear the problem is way too much dead coral and way too litle marine life.

For the topside tourist, Vietnam is simply amazing. One of the best places I've travelled to. I'm going back that way this spring. I'm hoping to finally give Nha Trang a shot and see first hand.

5 years ago I worked 1 year in Nha Trang. At that time diving was only permitted off Nha Trang and Danang. I know that there is now a dive center on Phu Quoc (operated by Jeremy Stein’s Rainbow Divers). Since then other areas that I don’t know about may possibly have been opened for diving. Halong Bay is extraordinarily beautiful, but from what I heard from local Vietnamese divers there is no good diving. (I may be wrong, but as far as I know there is no dive operator in this area).

I had the good fortune of being allowed to participate in three Vietnamese expeditions cruising the coast line north of Nha Trang searching for new possible dive destinations, but we found nothing significantly different from or better than the NhaTrang/Danang sites. So, my conclusion would be this: the Vietnamese dive sites are few, mostly quite shallow and – as far as quality of coral, visibility and abundance of marine life is concerned – far from competitive with Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines or Thailand.

As I sincerely love Vietnam and the Vietnamese it breaks my heart to say this: if you are specifically planning a dive holiday, expecting 2-4 good dives every day for a week or two, there are far better choices. Nha Trang is excellent for introductory courses or novices looking for experience, but I’m afraid seasoned divers will be quite disappointed.

In all other respects Vietnam is an absolutely enchanting country very much worth a visit…

If any of you are diving off Phan Thiet, could you please find the two cases of c-rations that fell out of my helicopter when my crew chief slipped on the cargo deck and knocked them out of the bird?

I also confirm that we can dive in Phan Thiet area, The price for diving whole day with full equipment is around 130 usd. diving place is a virgin island,

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom