Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to mention: 1300cu ft for 4 people works out to 325cu ft each. The guys in this thread were carrying at least 340cu ft (LP95s with cave fills plus one AL80, each). I don't know what the max penetration was on the dive you linked to, as that really dictates the amount of bailout you'll need. I'm also not sure if divers doing these dives would consider two divers with 680cuft of bailout is less safe than four divers with 1300cuft of bailout

was just about to post what @victorzamora posted. 325cf each carrying 95's that we can safely assume were cave filled is 260+77=337 so call a couple of them slightly short fills and that's the same amount of bailout gas... I'm not saying that that is enough or not, I'm not qualified to say, but it is roughly the same amount/diver as what was quoted, and the Abyss room is ~2000ft back. They also only had one backup DPV for the team of 4 *granted you could argue that the pair of Discovery DPV's have redundant battery systems I guess*. Analyze it how you will.

Last edited:
That is the million dollar question that has stymied my attempts to write my article on diving beyond one's limits. When you are diving at that level, how can you really know if the dive is within your limits? We know you cannot get to those levels without making reasonable steps beyond your present level, but how can you be sure you can tell the difference between a reasonable step and a foolish leap?

You probably cannot tell with 100% certainty. History seems to teach that lesson.

Not nearly as expensive as it could (should?) be, perhaps?

Twinset doubles exist because divers want to carry more air. Sidemount doubles exist because twinsets can make it difficult to pass tight restrictions.

So maybe CCR cave divers could benefit from redundant CCRs, i.e. twin sidemount CCRs and even CCRs in lieu of stage bottles, except for the final 100% O2 bottle? That way if a diver fumbles in a cave, he/she can relax and take the time to figure things out. Meanwhile, deco penalty will increase substantially, but extra CCRs will take care of that. Not a bad way to drop $50K+ per diver in CCRs alone.
Of all the ridiculous things...

I assumed EricTheDead was joking. Maybe not?

depends, bail out rebreathers are not unheard of, neither are twin rebreathers. Some are used because you need longer scrubber duration, others for bail out. @Dsix36 uses a BoB for example

I assumed EricTheDead was joking. Maybe not?

Perhaps not "joking", since there's nothing funny about any of this, but some element of tongue-in-cheek, at least with regards to the "stage rebreathers".

As for the bailout rebreathers, I don't see why not.

Where does one really draw the line?

Of all the ridiculous things...
I don't consider it ridiculous for all dives. That is why I made my BOB. Even if my primary rebreather craps out I will still have a secondary rebreather to get me home safely.

was just about to post what @victorzamora posted. 325cf each carrying 95's that we can safely assume were cave filled is 260+77=337 so call a couple of them slightly short fills and that's the same amount of bailout gas... I'm not saying that that is enough or not, I'm not qualified to say, but it is roughly the same amount/diver as what was quoted, and the Abyss room is ~2000ft back. They also only had one backup DPV for the team of 4 *granted you could argue that the pair of Discovery DPV's have redundant battery systems I guess*. Analyze it how you will.
Are there as many and similar restrictions getting to this room as there are getting into Revelation Space? I can't find the the Abyss room or the landmarks to the Abyss room on any of the maps I can find.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom