Diving Instructor death - Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiversMom

Contributor
Reaction score
LaPrensa, Honduras had a small article about the death of a diving instructor. No details on whether or not it was diving related or not. It was two small paragraphs in an article reporting the death of two Americans in Honduras this week. It was reported on 9 May

**** from Wisconsin. Drowning on 8 May. Found on the beach of a "well known resort."

How the incident happened.
More article please..

Jason Ooi:
How the incident happened.
More article please..

The remainder of the article was about another American whose in-laws killed him because he was abusing his Honduran wife.
I posted because I wanted to see if anyone had heard anything else or had more details on the incident. But - here's the entire article from the may 9th edition of LaPrensa:

Mueren dos estadounidenses

Tegucigalpa. Dos ciudadanos estadounidenses fallecieron en diferentes hechos ocurridos en el país, informó hoy un portavoz de la Policía.

La fuente dijo que una de las víctimas es el mecánico de aviación ***********, de 54 años, quien falleció anoche "a consecuencia de múltiples quemaduras en diferentes partes de su cuerpo", sufridas durante el incendio de su casa en La Paz, centro de Honduras.

El portavoz policial no detalló desde cuando y con quien residía el estadounidense en la ciudad de La Paz, y declaró que las causas del incendio están en investigación.

La fuente informó de que la otra víctima es el instructor de buceo *************, quien murió ahogado en las playas de la isla de Roatán, en el Caribe.

Este hecho ocurrió la tarde de ayer frente a las playas de un conocido hotel de la región.

Señaló que Hank era originario de Wisconsin, EUA, pero no dio detalles desde cuando estaba en el país.

Wonderful. I wonder what resort this happened on. I'd be interested to see more information on this, but so far Google just has that one news report already quoted.

Not that I distrust that news source (I do), but I'd like to see more verification that this was a diving accident, and not something like "he got drunk and drowned in the hot tub" kind of thing.

Wouldn't it be ironic if it happened on a certain resort that probably hoped we would all forget about the last time someone died on their watch?

DiversMom:
LaPrensa, Honduras had a small article about the death of a diving instructor. No details on whether or not it was diving related or not. It was two small paragraphs in an article reporting the death of two Americans in Honduras this week. It was reported on 9 May

**************, from Wisconsin. Drowning on 8 May. Found on the beach of a "well known resort."

My local dive shop is doing a trip in Roatan this week. I do not recognize the name, but I wonder if he went with the group from Deep Blue - Milwaukee. Is there any mention of that groups name in any of the news reports?

DiversMom:

*************** from Wisconsin. Drowning on 8 May. Found on the beach of a "well known resort."

We just returned from Roatan on 5/01/06... :( i hope it was not a diving related accident...

I believe that this aritcle, Google translated from Spanish for 9th of May, is of the same two. Names were removed per the SB Tos...

Two Americans die in different facts in Honduras

09/05/2006 - 17:28 (GMT)

Tegucigalpa, 9 may (ACAN-EFE) - Two American citizens passed away in different facts happened in the central region and the Caribbean of this Central American country, today informed a spokesman into the Police.

The source said to ACAN-EFE that one of the victims is the aircraft mechanic (name removed per Tos), of 54 years, that passed away last night “as a result of multiple burns in different parts from their body”, suffered during the fire of their house in La Paz, center of Honduras.

The police spokesman did not detail since when and with who resided the American in the city of La Paz, and declared that the causes of the fire are in investigation.

The source informed into which the other victim is the diving instructor (name scrubbed per Tos), of 27 years, that died drowned in beaches of the island of Roatán, in the Caribbean.

It said that this fact happened afternoon of yesterday in front of beaches of a well-known hotel of the region.

It indicated that (he) was original of Wisconsin, the U.S.A., but it did not give details since when was in the country. ACAN-EFE om/rsm

yes, that's the same article

So I don't have to PM everyone I wanted to remind you all of the Sticky at the top of this forum which states all accident/incident postings, and articles referenced, need to have all names scrubbed out of the post. I have deleted all names mentioned.

PM me if you have any questions.

Don, thanks for remembering the rules. :D

Mel

Um...that's why I posted. I was trying to find out the same - diving accident or just an accident or something more sinister. I distrust the US media more than I distrust LaPrensa or El Heraldo. I never claimed it WAS a diving accident - just an accident with an unknown cause.

Back
Top Bottom