Diving Instructor death - Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocIndyDiver:
I was in Roatan last week, at Coco View, and I heard two differrrent stories about a DCS injury and diver death at FANTASY ISLAND on the same boat trip or night dive. Someone who was at that resort may have the correct information.
The incident happened on Monday the 8th. There was one fatality and one "preventive" DCS visit. Significant issues that came to light were the following:
1 The resort DM on the boat was not certified.
2 Neither the aforementioned DM or the boat captain were CPR trained.
3 None of the Fantasy Island boats have AEDs, as a matter of fact the entire resort does not have a single AED.
4 The resort never practices rescue drills and their people do not know how to react in an emergency.

westcstdiver:
The incident happened on Monday the 8th. There was one fatality and one "preventive" DCS visit. Significant issues that came to light were the following:
1 The resort DM on the boat was not certified.
2 Neither the aforementioned DM or the boat captain were CPR trained.
3 None of the Fantasy Island boats have AEDs, as a matter of fact the entire resort does not have a single AED.
4 The resort never practices rescue drills and their people do not know how to react in an emergency.
Welllll....thank you for your input. That's a very strong statement full of accusations from a brand new member. Would you mind substantiating your accusations...??

It does bring up an interesting point though. How many people here ask to see the DM's card showing he is in current status? I assume the person who posted those accusations has done just that, or even run a pro chek?

There are many questions worth asking of a dive operator before diving with them, few of which i have ever been asked all i ever get asked is how much and why do you cost more than whoever. The answer, because they don't carry all the safety equipment we do, which costs us, so it costs you!

Bay Island Diver:
It does bring up an interesting point though. How many people here ask to see the DM's card showing he is in current status? I assume the person who posted those accusations has done just that, or even run a pro chek?

There are many questions worth asking of a dive operator before diving with them, few of which i have ever been asked all i ever get asked is how much and why do you cost more than whoever. The answer, because they don't carry all the safety equipment we do, which costs us, so it costs you!
Yeah, I'll try that. I'm seldom asked for C-cards, but the next time - I'll try. I can forecast the answer, tho: "The boat is going, mon - are you on it...?!"

Since you happen to be on the island, can you tell us what happened?

I don't guess you'd want to address the accusations....??

Interesting to hear all the speculation about this.......wonder if it is the same case as I heard about. I recently heard about a diver and instructor fatality issue in Roatan due to poor compressor maintenance (dive shop staff didn't assemble right so got exhaust) and carbon monoxide in the air tanks - but that it was not reported as such for the cause. The source was from someone with contacts in Honduras. And heard it was CoCo view resort. We'll probably never know what exactly happened.

I was at the A1 Scuba show here in Denver this weekend, and Yolanda from AKR was there. I asked her about this. Of course, she was very evasive and tried hard to pretend that she hadn't heard anything, but in the end she confirmed that "something happened". She would not divulge anything further, but pressed me hard to find out what I'd heard and what was being discussed.

Considering she was there to drum up business for Roatan, I'm not surprised at all by her reaction. I would expect people to act to protect their business interests. I'm just disappointed how Roatan manages to pull a cloud of secrecy over anything negative that happens there.

TropicalDiver:
Interesting to hear all the speculation about this.......wonder if it is the same case as I heard about. I recently heard about a diver and instructor fatality issue in Roatan due to poor compressor maintenance (dive shop staff didn't assemble right so got exhaust) and carbon monoxide in the air tanks - but that it was not reported as such for the cause. The source was from someone with contacts in Honduras. And heard it was CoCo view resort. We'll probably never know what exactly happened.
Nah, that was a year earlier, and was discussed on a different thread here with some problems so the thread was pulled.

Considering she was there to drum up business for Roatan, I'm not surprised at all by her reaction. I would expect people to act to protect their business interests. I'm just disappointed how Roatan manages to pull a cloud of secrecy over anything negative that happens there.
Yep, true...

Back
Top Bottom