Diving Instructor death - Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most instructors who have worked on this islnad remember it for its exceedingly high standards. The only cloak of secrecy comes from those with something to hide! Please do not judge the excellent West End dive shops on the performance of the resorts elsewhere on the island.

Having said that it is not fair to compare dive operations in the West End who have a largely young and healthy customer base with the the AI resorts who tend to attract the older less physically fit divers.

DandyDon:
Welllll....thank you for your input. That's a very strong statement full of accusations from a brand new member. Would you mind substantiating your accusations...??

I am sorry, I did not realise that being a new member automatically means I am unreliable. More to the point. I base my accusations on personal experience, I was there when the incident happened.

RE:Certification of DiveMaster
I asked to see verification of His status, the first time I was told "We cannot find it" the second time I was told "It is not on file". When I asked for the DiveMaster's full name to run a pro chek I was told "We do not know his last name". As a side note, the Fantasy Island dive shop did not ask for the c-cards of any of the members of my group (12 people).

RE: Lack of CPR training
Both the DiveMaster and the Boat Captain stood and watched without helping and kept repeating "I don't know what to do, I don't know what to do".

RE: Lack of AEDs
None on the boat, and according to the hotel doctor, none at the facility.

RE: Lack of training
OK, I jumped to this conclusion. However, I base it on how the facility and its staff responded (or better said, failed to respond) to the emergency.

DandyDon:
Welllll....thank you for your input. That's a very strong statement full of accusations from a brand new member. Would you mind substantiating your accusations...??
:lol:
Personally, I prefer all unsubstantiated allegations come from established members with over 1000 posts. I think there should be a minimum post count for speculations.

Ok, thanks Westcstdiver.

westcstdiver:
I am sorry, I did not realise that being a new member automatically means I am unreliable. More to the point. I base my accusations on personal experience, I was there when the incident happened.
It doesn't ... however, it's not all that uncommon for someone with an "axe to grind" to join the board and say things that they know will damage a business ... and not provide any information to substantiate their claims. Invariably these people will not provide any information about themselves in their profiles ... so that there's no way to check the veracity of their claims. In this case, a skeptical approach does tend to be a reasonable one.

Would it be helpful to ask you to fill out your profile information?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

westcstdiver.
What was the name of the non certified DM you did the search on?
Just returned from Fantasy Island this past Sunday. TRIP REPORT COMING SOON~

Brian

Bay Island Diver:
Most instructors who have worked on this islnad remember it for its exceedingly high standards. The only cloak of secrecy comes from those with something to hide! Please do not judge the excellent West End dive shops on the performance of the resorts elsewhere on the island. Having said that it is not fair to compare dive operations in the West End who have a largely young and healthy customer base with the the AI resorts who tend to attract the older less physically fit divers.

Sweet Lord! :huh: What a peculiar thing to say.

On to another point, as diving has evolved, the term Dive Master has been re-defined unilateraly by us, the consumers.

It used to mean the local guy who jumped into the water with you. In the old days he would spear fish while you poked around and fiddled with your gear.

Now-a-days, if he's any good, he'll point out some fish while you fiddle around with your gear.

Rarely is it ever said, "Your NAUI Dive Master Luis will guide you..."

Just, "Here's your dive master, Luis..."

Now, if you would have known that he was a certified DM would that make the outing any safer or better or more value for your money? Maybe.

The first time I went diving in Truk (1973, back when it was called Truk) with Kimeo Aisek, I don't think he knew what a c-card was. He was a superb DM.

But, still, the whole concept of a destination C-Carded DM has evolved and is now something we visitors dreamed up and imagined to suit... what?

Some AI resorts (even the ones that cater to elderly, infirm non-West End divers) indeed do have AED's, O2, and each member of the boat crew is trained for possible medical response. The DM's carry cards from a certifying agency. Some resorts do not feature this.

It is best to inquire as to credentials in advance. Makes more sense than later bemoaning the lack therof.

So, what will you do if they say YES or NO ? If the answer either way is the same, maybe don't bother asking?

I really do not expect an Aed at a resort. The cost of putting one on every boat would be prohibitive, I think - don't know that I've ever been on a boat with one. And an Aed at the resort would not help a dive victim, would it, with the delay in getting to it?

I do hope for a functioning O2 bottle on board, but have never seen anyone ask to test one. I've only requested one for another diver once, and it failed.

It'd be nice if every diver was Cpr trained and carried a mask. I just renewed my training, carry a Cpr mask, aspirin, gloves, and antiseptic wipes in my computer bag and dive bag, almost everywhere.

DandyDon:
It'd be nice if every diver was Cpr trained and carried a mask. I just renewed my training, carry a Cpr mask, aspirin, gloves, and antiseptic wipes in my computer bag and dive bag, almost everywhere.

Jeez Don, good thing you have elite status on you frequent flyer program. I think if someone did an x-ray of the bag they would want to take a look just so they could ask you questions about why you carry the stuff.

I agree with you on the AED front. They are very expensive and the resorts no doubt do a bit of cost/benefit analysis. Up here in the great white north at the airports there is a sign next to the AED at the airport that warns against using them unless you are trained. I thought that the intent was to design them so that they could be used by following the mechanical voice.

tedtim:
Jeez Don, good thing you have elite status on you frequent flyer program. I think if someone did an x-ray of the bag they would want to take a look just so they could ask you questions about why you carry the stuff.

I agree with you on the AED front. They are very expensive and the resorts no doubt do a bit of cost/benefit analysis. Up here in the great white north at the airports there is a sign next to the AED at the airport that warns against using them unless you are trained. I thought that the intent was to design them so that they could be used by following the mechanical voice.
Huh? They've been thru TSA xray many times.

I just don't expect a dive boat to carry an Aed, and even if the resort had one, by the time the dive boat got back to it - it'd be too late. If a diver is going to have an heart attack, it's not likely to be in lobby, or even the dive shop.

Back
Top Bottom